oldhokie,jimtrs 8N oil pressure update

montidale

Well, we got around to pulling the oil pan off the 8N today. Every thing looked good. So we pulled the oil pump. The brand new gears where 0.712. We saved the old gears they where 0.725. We would have been better off leaving the pump alone. I'm glad you guys pointed that out to me. Who knows we might have tore the whole engine down. I don't see anyone who sells a complete rebuilt pump. New Holland says they can get me a new rebuild kit. I would hope the can get it right. I noticed some wear on the oil pump cover/pickup tube. Is that something to be concerned with?I hate to buy a new one because it might be junk. We have run into some problems restoring this tractor with finding good parts. So the plan is replace the gears or get a new pump, put it back together and hope that fixes the oil pressure problem. So again thank you guys for pointing out where to look.

(quoted from post at 17:50:16 11/11/22) Well, we got around to pulling the oil pan off the 8N today. Every thing looked good. So we pulled the oil pump. The brand new gears where 0.712. We saved the old gears they where 0.725. We would have been better off leaving the pump alone. I'm glad you guys pointed that out to me. Who knows we might have tore the whole engine down. I don't see anyone who sells a complete rebuilt pump. New Holland says they can get me a new rebuild kit. I would hope the can get it right. I noticed some wear on the oil pump cover/pickup tube. Is that something to be concerned with?I hate to buy a new one because it might be junk. We have run into some problems restoring this tractor with finding good parts. So the plan is replace the gears or get a new pump, put it back together and hope that fixes the oil pressure problem. So again thank you guys for pointing out where to look.

Whew - I was afarid you were going to tell me I was all wet. I am glad it was this "easy" :roll:

I have been buying rebuild kits from Just 8n's - the ones from here may be just fine but I have not tried any. I think the kits I an getting are Tisco and I have had no problems with them. But as I said - I mic them all before I put them in a pump.

We can start a war here but replacing the oil pump should be accomapnied with an align hone to match it to the engine block and other caps. I think a new pump is a good practice when doing an engine overhaul but at this juncture , unless you have a real concern, I would pass on that. If you just swap one in without the align hone you are asking for even more problems.

You can sand the face of the pump cover down to eliminate the scoring. Be careful to keep metal removal even or you will tilt the pickup enough to get interference.

TOH

Thanks for the follow up!
Take TOH advice about a new oil pump. Remember, an 8n's oil pump is part of the main bearing cap. Change the pump, changes the bearing cap. Thus the align bore. If the block is completely stripped and at the machine shop, not that big of a deal. Just an added expense.

I was thinking the same about the bearing cap. I think well leave that alone and just put in new gears and see how it turns out. Ill let you guys know how it works. Thanks again Dale

My 9n was experiencing oil pump problems,losing its prime after a short time of not being used. I would have to squirt some 90 weight oil into the relief valve,which was hard to do with arthritis. The pickup tube became unsoldered and was sucking air,allowing air to escape and a;;ow cavitation in the pump. I had bought the gaskets and a Tisco rebuild kit for it some years ago,so I built a place to work on it and put new parts in. It now works well and has good oil pressure.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back