Oliver 1650 Transmission Problem

eth555

New User
I have an Oliver 1650, we have had problems with it popping out of 6th and 5th gears over the past few years. I was raking hay with it on Wednesday and when I finished up I went to put it in 6th gear and I had nothing, it would engage but would not move. So, I put it in 5th gear to come home and it went fine until it popped out of 5th gear and rolled to a stop. I could not get it to move again and had to pull it home.
The clutch is engaging/disengaging, I checked the chain coupler it is good, pulled gear stick on top and tried to shift the rails, but I am not able to get it to work correctly. It seems like the one rail moves and shifts but from what I can tell one rail I cannot move, but I am not sure if I should put a little more pressure on it. I have it so that it will start, so it thinks it is in neutral now.
Anyone have any ideas, what is next step, split tractor and pull trans apart? There is no a lot of information on the actual gear shift transmissions on these, and it does not appear there are a lot of parts out there for them. Thanks for any insight!

You do not split the tractor to get at the transmission. Just take the seat out and lift the top of the transmission. Do you have a Repair manual? I think most parts are still available from aftermarket suppliers if not the AGCO dealers. Its a pretty solid transmission for the most part so as long as its not galled up on the gears and shafts you should be able to effect repairs without breaking the bank.

Yes, I have a reprint of the Oliver manual from 1967, but it really does not go into much detail on the main gear transmission for much of anything other than some cross sections and it talks about the lubrication system a bit. It is a bit disappointing in that regard.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back