Oliver 550 Diesel

md4020

New User
There is a 550 Diesel for sale in an upcoming auction and I was wondering about any inherent problems with them. Like hard starting in the winter, power steering problems, transmission, and reliability.
 
My grandad had a 58 model diesel, it was the first thing I learned to drive. For years that was a good tractor with only one issue and that being the power lift would stop working and would have to be rebuilt. I'm talking about the unit that the seat mounts on. When you pull it off the the arms and all came off with it, other than that I would love to have another one.
 
They really don't have any inherent weak points, and are very popular because of their small size, independent PTO and good power. Power steering is a plus, as units are hard to find to convert a manual. Remote hydraulics is another plus, if it has it.
 
We have a 1964 550 diesel with power steering, 4700 hrs. on it that has been serviced at recommended intervals,worked hard and is still working hard.Other than brake shoes and a one clutch disc its never been touched. This tractor has pulled a three bottom plow over many an acre,mowed,raked and bailed hay for us. It has never once let us down. I have operated every brand of tractor made in the 40 to 50 horsepower range and can say that nothing can beat it for its size. I will say that it takes a strong battery to start it in freezing weather because the preheater will zap a cheap battery fast. When its real cold i use our gas 550.It starts right up on the coldest day.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top