Oliver 550 with 588 Loader and External Hydraulics Questions

pes019

New User
Hello- I have recently purchased a new (to me) Oliver 550 tractor with a loader. I think that what I have is a fairly unique unit and I was excited to find it as my father and I have been running oliver tractors for years. My father has a 1650 and a super 55 that he recently restored and I have had a 550 for several years. I came across this most recent 550 with the loader a few weeks ago and bought it sight unseen out of Minnesota and had it shipped to Texas. The tractor is I think a 1964 unit that has green paint (Serial# 147-658-519). It has the all of the original equipment to include power steering, factory tow bar, all four original lights(that work), factory external hydraulic valve, even has the original cigarette lighter still in the holder and to top it all off only has 337 original hours...( yes the hour meter works) The tractor runs like a champ and is a gas engine. I have a few questions that I could use some help on.

1. It is definitely a factory green machine but I can see some yellow paint in areas under the green that have me scratching my head. I also know that this is a fixed front axle machine and not the adjustable axle like the more traditional ag machines had. I have heard that some of the industrial machines were painted green at the factory and sold under the ag brand but would like to confirm that this is what I actually have...

2. External Hydraulic Valve- I have also attached a picture of the valve unit. It has a selector switch on top that appears that have 4 settings. (LO, A, B C D) and I have no idea what the settings are for as I have never seen one of these valves with the selector. With the tractor came the original operators guide, I&T manual and the actual leaflet for the installation of the valve from Oliver but it does not discuss this selector switch on top of the Valve. What is this for and what does it do?

Thanks

Jim

mvphoto14194.jpg

mvphoto14195.jpg

mvphoto14196.jpg

mvphoto14197.jpg

The knob is a flow control. That valve is off on an older tractor. A lot of green tractors have yellow paint underneath the green. Spend the money and get a build card and you will know. More questions?

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. Where do I get the build card from? I have seen some conversations that you have to request one from Floyd County Museum? Is this correct? When you say that a lot of green tractors have yellow under them....am I correct in assuming that some were repainted from the factory and sold as AG or was this done after by a previous owner? I am assuming that the build card will tell me this?

Thanks again for all the info..

519 sounds like a ag. Tractor but the solid axle sounds like ind. I have one that sounds like yours but A different number. I don't remember the number. Not at home

Bison 2010- Thanks for the info. Could you let me know once you get to your information? I think that this is a resprayed green from the factory industrial that was sold as ag but now hearing that the valve unit is off an older tractor I am wondering what I actually have. I am going to also try to get the build card as suggested to see what I can find out.. Always fun to try to figure out the puzzles on these old Olivers.

I spoke with Marianne at Floyd County this morning and ordered my Build Card. Hopefully I will have it next week. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks!

John- I have an older 550 that has the flow control. Mine is a 1960 model. My other 550 made in 1962 does not have this feature. Until I bought the other 550, I had never seen these. What do the settings mean? I googled around and nothing came up. Thanks.

Yes! That tractor looks exactly like mine. I even notice that it has the solid front axle. I am assuming that your dad's tractor was factory green?

I have a yellow Oliver 550 Industrial with power steering, draw bar, solid front axle, rear wheel weights, and external hydraulic valve. I have been restoring it little by little. Maybe I should make a thread on it.

The external valve I have has a selector on it just like yours. I also have another valve on the shelf without the selector.

The industrial/solid front ends have much more beefy spindles, and have 6 splined steering arms, instead of a through bolt that holds the steering arms onto the spindles.

I am looking forward to getting the build card hopefully this week. I think that this tractor is similar to the one at the bottom of the thread but unlike yours was green from the factory. I just doubt that the previous owner painted the machine given the low hours and the way that the paint appears....

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back