Oliver 60 Row Crop Transmission issue.

Treeman22

Hello, I am currently trying to get an Oliver 60 Row crop tractor running again. It hasn't ran in close to 30 years. It was smashed by an old garage in a snow storm in 1993. Anyway the engine is free and I got the radiator re cored new belts, carburetor rebuilt, changed out exhaust manifold for one that wasn't broken, also had to get a new oil bath air filter. I changed the distributor points and condenser, new cap and spark plugs. Got the coil put on, gas tank back on, new dash panel gauges and switches. That was a quick update on where I'm at as far as the engine is concerned. I still need to do the wiring work on the engine and I can then try to start it.

But now to my issue I am inquiring about. The gear shifter would slop side to side as if it were in neutral but it wouldn't move into any other gear. So I went ahead and pulled off the power lift and both of the side shift bars will move freely and easily. The center bar I got to slide all the way forward and now it seems to be stuck. My service manual says to put the gear shift bars into the neutral position then put the power assist on. But I can't get it to that position nor do I know what that position is. Does anyone have experience with these older tractor transmissions? I'm learning as I go with this tractor but I'm stuck on this transmission problem. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

By the way I got this tractor around 2 years ago or so from my grandfather. It was his tractor and he had Alzheimer's when he agreed to let me fix the tractor but now he has had since passed away so getting it running in his honor will mean a lot to me. He always said he was going to fix it for the last 20 years but he never got around to getting it done. Thanks sorry for being so lengthy.

Could you explain what they are? I've never been in a tractor transmission before. I will do some research on them thanks.

Then it should be a four speed (forward gear) transmission. I don't know if any of this will help, but you basically have three neutrals with the center neutral stopping the belt. Your shift pattern should be the upper left pattern shown here:

6070RoL.jpg

Yes it's a 4 speed. Thanks for the info. But I need to figure out how to get that center shift bar to move back towards the back end of the tractor. I was able to slide it forward and can't get it to slide back. And then I need to know what position to have the shifter bars in before I put the power lift back on so it will shift correctly. This is the information I'm looking for at this point. Thanks.

If your center bar is slid all the way forward, line up the ones on each side of it to match the neutral in that area. Put your gear shifter back on it will be angled towards the back. This will put you in neutral between 3 and 4. With the shifter back on you should be able to slide it back into low neutral. If you want to try and move it before you put the shifter in make sure both side rails are sitting in they're respected neutral positions and try slight leverage with a pry bar. If theres a belt pulley try rocking it back and forth at the same time.
Are you sure it is all the way forward and not in the stop belt position?

Thank you for your response Lyle. I believe it is slid all the way forward because the gear fork that is attached to the center shift bar is slid all the way up against the gears towards the middle of the transmission. But thank you for your information I'll try what you suggested and see how it works out!

The detente are a ball bearing and spring on the shift shafts that hold them in place. They get dry and rusty from sitting or the hole can get enlarged causing them to stick. Not sure where they're on a 60. On later tractors they were on the front of the trans. Might try to get some penetrating oil worked on the shafts and work them back and forth gently.

Ollie junkie, thank you for the explanation. I did spray some pb blaster onto the shafts I will try working them again after it soaks.

Thanks. I was out trying to move that center shift bar and now all of the shift bars are stuck. I didn't do anything to it besides take off the power lift and look inside. Yesterday the outside shift bars were moving freely and easily but now I can't move any of them. Anyone know what caused this?

Let me just add that the only difference between today and yesterday is that it was in the single digits and low teens for temperature outside today. Yesterday was lower 30s could the cold weather maybe be the issue?

Ok I'll wait until it warms up and try moving the bars again. Also just looking for an opinion on another issue. I went ahead and put antifreeze in the tractor today for the first time since 1993. Anyway I had gotten 2 gallons in when I found it leaking out of the water pump right behind the alternator pulley. Are these pumps able to be rebuilt or do I need a new one?

Thanks.

So I wanted to give an update on my
tractor. So I decided to get a new water
pump so that fixes that issue. Anyway, I
wanted to see if I can get an opinion/
advice on my transmission issue.

So I have all the gear oil drained out of
the tractor I think you already knew that
but if not you do now. So as I said before
I was able to move the shift bars when it
was warmer outside.

I now have noticed that in the bottom of
the transmission there is still some really
thick tar like consistency oil. And also it
is safe to assume there is moisture in
there because the gear shift boot had a rip
in it. However there is no water laying in
the transmission. This tractor sat outside
for like 15 to 20 years or something crazy.
Now there is almost no rust down in the
gears which is good.

I think what is preventing me from moving
the shift bars in cold weather is that the
moisture in there freezes which was already
pointed out by a person who responded on
earlier. But thank also I believe that the
oil also thickens up so thick when it is
cold that it sticks to the gears and
prevents them from moving.

Now I am wondering if those of you with
more experience could tell me what is the
proper way of cleaning this transmission
and getting all that tarry gunk out of
there? Sorry for being so lengthy but I
wanted to make sure I gave all the details.

Thanks!!!

I'd just put the drain plug back in and pour in some diesel, just enough to cover the sludge. Then I'd take some sort of brush to it to loosen it up and drain it again.

Update on transmission. I went out today and took out the transmission drain plug for the first time. I didn't realize there was a drain plug on the transmission before. Shows you how observant I am. Anyway after taking out the plug it was plugged up with solid ice. Which explains some of my issues. The tractor is in an uninsulated garage.

I took the wife's hair dryer out there and heated the transmission up good got the ice melted and quite a bit of thick tar junk drained out along with some water. I also sprayed quite a bit of kerosene into the transmission and got those gears looking very shiny. All the black tar junk is off of them. The 2 outer shift bars are moving very easily again. Easier than before. The pto shaft and belt pulley and pto shifter are all moving easily again.

But the center shift bar still will not move. As I mentioned before I did move it once towards the front of the tractor and I haven't been able to move it since. I am posting a photo to see what you think. Also can anyone tell me is it in gear or in neutral?

Thanks.

Another update on the transmission. My brother who is a way better mechanic than I am stopped to look at the tractor. He was able to get that center shift bar moving. We put the power lift back on and it seems to be shifting just fine now. So a good cleaning with kerosene and heat to melt the ice and evaporate the water seems to have cured my issues.

Thank you to all who replied to my conversation and thank you for the help/advice.

(quoted from post at 15:21:47 01/18/22) Another update on the transmission. My brother who is a way better mechanic than I am stopped to look at the tractor. He was able to get that center shift bar moving. We put the power lift back on and it seems to be shifting just fine now. So a good cleaning with kerosene and heat to melt the ice and evaporate the water seems to have cured my issues.

Thank you to all who replied to my conversation and thank you for the help/advice.
Glad you're making progress. Hope you have running soon.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back