Oliver 770 Diesel - Slow to Start

SOCOPowerMan

New User
Our 770 diesel (well loved, well taken care of, but she's been worked hard) is really slow to start at times. Mainly when 'cold' starting. It only takes a few seconds - probably less than 20 - of cranking before the engine won't turn over anymore. The battery is good and reading 12.6v. However, if I plug the block heater in for an hour before I need to use it, then it fires right up after a few rotations. I figured either 1) it's time for a rebuild or 2) it's time for a new starter. Oddly enough - if I've been using it all day and cut it off, then it doesn't want to start back. Kinda like the cold starts. It'll wind over for a bit until it won't. Wanted to get your thoughts on it.

If the engine won't start when HOT, and engine cranks over well that's USUALLY a sign the injection pump hydraulic head is extremely worn and needs replaced. You MIGHT get by with one of the new gear reduction starters as they will spin the engine a bit faster. My neighbor's 1550 and 1655 diesels both have that starter and start MUCH better than before. You should also use the intake manifold heater during cold starts too, that engine was not the best starting cold without using the heater.

Put your multi meter on it when you are trying to start it. If it drops below 8, get the starter rebuilt.
This right here. Voltage dropped to 7.5 while cranking.

So new question - rebuild/reaplce OE starter or go with an aftermarket gear reduction starter?

Last edited:
This right here. Voltage dropped to 7.5 while cranking.

So new question - rebuild/reaplce OE starter or go with an aftermarket gear reduction starter?

Easy answer-

If you want form over function, etc., go rebuilt.
If you want function over form, get one of the aftermarket gear reduction starters. They're so much better.

Edit: Also make sure the battery also load tests well.

Last edited:
Amazon, eBay, db electrical, etc. I don't think there is any difference in the maple springs starters except the price. I could be wrong but I've asked before and nobody has been able to point out differences.

Amazon, eBay, db electrical, etc. I don't think there is any difference in the maple springs starters except the price. I could be wrong but I've asked before and nobody has been able to point out differences.
Well I've only bought one and it was from MSF. I can't complain. I had questions and they were more than happy to help me make sure I got the right thing the first time. They were quick and knowledgeable with their answers. Shipping was fast (on their end, USPS screwed the pooch) and fair. That, to me, was worth buying from local people instead of Amazon/Ebay.

Don't get me wrong - I use Amazon for A LOT of things. But I'm glad I bought from MSF on this one.

Ordered a new gear reduction starter. Will let you all know what's going on once it's installed. Thanks for the info.
WONDERFUL! I don't know how else to even describe it.

I put the new starter on yesterday. And just bumped it over to make sure I had the wires hooked up correctly. Engine cold and haven't had the battery on charge. Tractor fired right up just as quick as my cars do! I wish I had done this years ago!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back