Oliver identification

from your info, your Oliver tag denotes a 1953 Oliver 88.

I believe the head casting number indicates a Super 77 diesel casting number.
Timing cover casting numbers could've been a lot of tractors.
Engine casting number is consistent with 77/Super 77 tractors.

What is the long number on the injection pump? It's somewhat unreadable in the photo.

I think u may have a 770 engine in an 88 in my opinion. Part numbers starting with the letter K were 88's and 77's started with M. The rest of the digits in the part numbers were the same number for the same part if it was a 88 or 77. I was comparing part numbers once between 77 and 88 transmission gears and noticed this. A lot of the numbers you found are actual date codes. Some of the 770's would have a roosa master pump on it. I also noticed the gap between the rear of the engine and fuel tank. A 77 engine is about 2" shorter than an 88. 77 series engine casting numbers started with a 185....... and 88 engine parts start with a 190.......

What is the long number on the injection pump? It's somewhat unreadable in the photo.
I'm not sure what the numbers are off hand but I will get them shortly. Thanks

I think u may have a 770 engine in an 88 in my opinion. Part numbers starting with the letter K were 88's and 77's started with M. The rest of the digits in the part numbers were the same number for the same part if it was a 88 or 77. I was comparing part numbers once between 77 and 88 transmission gears and noticed this. A lot of the numbers you found are actual date codes. Some of the 770's would have a roosa master pump on it. I also noticed the gap between the rear of the engine and fuel tank. A 77 engine is about 2" shorter than an 88. 77 series engine casting numbers started with a 185....... and 88 engine parts start with a 190.......
Interesting I was plowing with it last spring and I noticed it would heat up pretty quickly. do you think if it has a 770 engine the cooling system might not be able to keep up? Thanks

Interesting I was plowing with it last spring and I noticed it would heat up pretty quickly. do you think if it has a 770 engine the cooling system might not be able to keep up? Thanks
Radiator should be able to handle it unless the fins can't get air through them or it's plugged internally. Fan looks like it may be on the small side, like a 77 fan, not an 88. The 77 and 770 radiator are about 2" narrower than an 88 so the fan may be about 2" too small. Make sure it has a thermostat in it, or it won't return the coolant back to the radiator.

The number directly below the name roosa master is No.DGFCL 635---7AQ the number after the first one is 1800. And the model number is 930012 and I can't make out the bottom number but the first four digits are 2910. Thanks

Radiator should be able to handle it unless the fins can't get air through them or it's plugged internally. Fan looks like it may be on the small side, like a 77 fan, not an 88. The 77 and 770 radiator are about 2" narrower than an 88 so the fan may be about 2" too small. Make sure it has a thermostat in it, or it won't return the coolant back to the radiator.
Will a Oliver 88 fan fit on a 77/S77/770 fan shaft? Thanks

I'm thinking u have a super 88 rear also. Regular 88 axle housing didn't have the gussets in near the mounting to the rear housing either like yours.

I'm thinking u have a super 88 rear also. Regular 88 axle housing didn't have the gussets in near the mounting to the rear housing either like yours.
The axle diameter of 2-3/4” is what Fleetline 88’s had. Supers were 2-7/8. The disc brakes indicate 1952 and 1953 Fleetline.

The axle diameter of 2-3/4” is what Fleetline 88’s had. Supers were 2-7/8. The disc brakes indicate 1952 and 1953 Fleetline.
I understand what u say. The regular 88s I've seen never had the gussets at the axle housing mounting that I've seen. Axles could have been swapped.... not sure if housings we updated with the brakes at that point. We had an 88 with 1 super and 1 regular axle in...... a fleeting had band brakes unless they were updated with a factory kit, not sure if a fleet line came from factory with disc brakes at any point like this one...

So what I have is a 1953 Oliver 88 with a super 88 frame and 770 engine correct? Thanks

I think it's a fleetline with a Super tub, but I really don't know what you have. I don't believe it's a 770 engine. I think it's a 77/Super 77 engine. The 770s had different casting numbers (a letter suffix on the casting), and the head number is specific to the Super 77 diesel as I previously posted. I think the injection pump was pulled off something else (not an Oliver) and set up for the engine. If Dieseltech sees the numbers he may be able to pull up the parts sheet and tell you the original equipment for that pump.

Also, I need to correct my previous posts- the grill is specific to the 88/Super 88 (not just the Super) as it pops out on the sides at the bottom.

I think it's a fleetline with a Super tub, but I really don't know what you have. I don't believe it's a 770 engine. I think it's a 77/Super 77 engine. The 770s had different casting numbers (a letter suffix on the casting), and the head number is specific to the Super 77 diesel as I previously posted. I think the injection pump was pulled off something else (not an Oliver) and set up for the engine. If Dieseltech sees the numbers he may be able to pull up the parts sheet and tell you the original equipment for that pump.

Also, I need to correct my previous posts- the grill is specific to the 88/Super 88 (not just the Super) as it pops out on the sides at the bottom.
That pump as 635 after the prefix, indicating 6 cylinder with 35 plungers, way overkill for this. I think a roosa pump for something like this would have been 27 size plungers. So no, that pump is definetely not original. The hubs come up under a fleetline in agco parts books......

Some Fleetline 88’s had the disc brake conversion from the factory….I have one of those. The discs were apparently not the same as on the Supers that had bull pinions with integral disc splines.

That pump as 635 after the prefix, indicating 6 cylinder with 35 plungers, way overkill for this. I think a roosa pump for something like this would have been 27 size plungers. So no, that pump is definetely not original. The hubs come up under a fleetline in agco parts books......

The pump would've been a Bosch if original.

I have one more question about the Oliver 88 and that is was there a factory option for a hydraulic side hill hitch like mine has? Thanks
1000001723.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back