Oliver or White log skidder?

Hello!
Another beautiful, warm, sunny winter day here in SEMN! On my walk home from the IGA this morning, I stopped to look at an older ('60's-'70's?) vintage John Deere log skidder. There is no model number on it, but it appears to have a Deere 4-cylinder diesel engine. Also, it looks like the machine is built largely from ag-tractor components, ie axles, transmission, engine, console and so-forth from a 3020 or 4020. It made me wonder: did Oliver or White Industrial ever build a log-skidder, or experiment with a concept/prototype for one? One could be built rather easily from 1850 or 1950 diesel tractor components. The closest thing White has is a 4-210 with a 4110 dozer blade (just needs a winch and tree-guards). Perhaps Oliver/White tried to market crawler tractors for this purpose. What are your thoughts? We see a lot of log-skidders around here. Enjoy a safe and Blessed close to your 2011!
Merlin in Rushford, MN

Yes they did.

In 1970 the White Construction Equipment (WCE) A division of White Motor Corporation built the White 2-78-LL and the 4-78-LL tractors. The LL stands for Log Loader.
The basic tractor was a 1650/1655 industrial tractor with some modifications. The fuel tank was removed and the operators station was turned 180 degrees. Then they mounted a special loader so it worked on what was now the front of the tractor. The fuel tank and hydraulic tank was mounted just ahead of the operator. There was a hydraulic winch mounted on the rear, just back of the radiator. It was called a log lugger and only worked on a four wheel (4-78) tractor. I would think you would need a good load on the loader so you would have traction all the way around.

I have never see one of these units, I am describing this tractor from the WCE advertising brochure printed in 1970.

I am glad you didn't ask about the White industrial tractors with hydraulic sidebooms or the White Beach Maintence System.

Why do you say that Oliver fan? Not to get off topic but I am.
On topic that would be cool if White actually made an articulating skidder with a detroit in it. I'm sure they would have compete with Timberjack and JD for sure...

Thank you for the information!
The skidder I was looking at here in town is a Deere 540. I have never seen pictures of the White Log Loader, although I have seen 2-78 and 4-78 Industrials with loaders, backhoes and forklifts. Could you please post a photograph of the White log loader, if you have one? Thank you! Enjoy a Blessed day!
Merlin in Rushford, MN

While I was traveling in Southwest Michigan about 25 years ago, I saw a home-built articulated skidder that somebody made up out of two 77 or 88 tractors. It had one engine and two transmissions. PTO was connected to a winch on the back, and it had a blade on the front. I took some pictures, will look to see if I still have them.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back