Operation 8N: Horse of a Different Color

Ed S.

Tonight, I pulled the second rear wheel center out of the e-tank, and got it prepped and ready for wire-wheeling prior to primer.

op8n_0427rearcenters.jpg

Finished putting primer on the underside of the lift assembly, and also attempted to build up the lift follow cam by brazing it (it was worn down a bit), but couldn't get the heavy cast iron hot enough for the rod to stick. It'll just have to be worn.

Finished up by tinting the grey paint I had bought a couple years ago to match the original 1950 grey color, and got reasonably close to it. However, didn't have as much luck with the red paint - it turned out more tomato red than what I wanted. I may bite the bullet and order another gallon from a source which claims to exactly match the original red.

op8n_0427painttint.jpg

My tinted grey color is inbetween the two reds in the photo - hard to tell from the pic, but once it dries, it should be pretty close to a part I used for comparison which still had some original grey on it. The rest of the hood is the grey as it came from the factory ("Ford Grey").

es

I tried that paint mixing scheme and gave up on it because it is difficult to duplicate in the future. I found Van Sickle paint to be very close and very easy to work with, so far durible. I think I heard Tisco is now getting their paint from Van Sickle. I use a hardener. To each his own.

Know what you mean!

I won't ever need to duplicate this again, so it's no biggie to me. As an industrial designer by education, I've done my share of creating color palettes for various product designs (including mixing custom paint colors), and when I saw how far off the official "Ford Grey" and "Ford Red" were from TSC, figured it couldn't hurt to try to adjust them a bit. Hey - I even got the grey pretty close!

All the same, I will probably end up buying another gallon of red, as I've pushed what I have as far as I can and it ain't even close yet.

es

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back