ordering light stuff with low postage

pixer

Member
I could use some light parts for instance fuel bulb gaskek, and valve cover gaskets for 8n but where i ordered other parts i think charge 9$ shipping per order which is good if ordering heavy parts but how can i order light wt. small parts and not get hit with 9$ shipping. as always thanx before hand for info.
 
Most parts like those your talking about can be picked up locally. I buy the sediment bowl gasket from O'Reilly's auto part store at around $1.25 each and also get many of the gaskets I need at the same place. You can also get a lot of those from a local Farm and home place like TSC etc
 
(quoted from post at 16:24:23 02/03/12) I could use some light parts for instance fuel bulb gaskek, and valve cover gaskets for 8n but where i ordered other parts i think charge 9$ shipping per order which is good if ordering heavy parts but how can i order light wt. small parts and not get hit with 9$ shipping. as always thanx before hand for info.

I do a fair amount of shipping and I can't imagine anybody trying to make a living selling stuff would ship anything that required as little as a postage stamp and envelope for less than $5. Packaging. postage, and labor cost is not insignificant. If you take a $2 loss shipping a $10 order you are not going to stay in business very long. What does it cost you to drive someplace and pick the stuff up? My Hemi 4WD pickup is a thirsty little devil and $9 in gas doesn't get me very far - not to mention wear and tear......

TOH
 
thanks for info, we do have a oreillys parts i found out i will call to see if theyhave gaskets if not will have to pay the freight but but 9$ in shipping does seem a little steep for and envelope size and weight order.
 
Try ordering 4 paks. of seeds (mail oredr).

2 oz. $14.00 shipping charges.

Sorry Burpee.......went on local FREE bus to town and walked to AGWAY. They had everything except "TOKYO TURNIP" seeds. Oh we,,regular turnips this year. Thought I might try something "exotic".

I run into the same problem when fixing mowers. Wholesale catalog: Briggs gasket...79Cents. Minimum UPS 12.00. So, I make most of em.

John,PA
 
I also hate to pay more for shipping than the cost of the parts. So, I always have a list of parts that I will need in the future and when I have a small order of things I need now, I add in some of the items I will need later to make the shipping charges easier to swallow. nnalert has a WishList that I keep ready for these situations.
 
Exzakkly ! Time to do the shipping ain't FREE ! I have sold some stuff on E-Bay and have (as all do ) announced that shipping is EXTRA ! You've got the carboard, tape and the trip to the post office ( I refuse to use others, unless the unit has to be on a pallet). Most of us are happy to be able just to get the oddball part, so shipping is what it is - NOT FREE !.
 
I read some where that EBAY sellers are charged a fee based on the selling price. So some charge $1 and $50 shipping to beat the system
 
If I am doing work for a customer, I have to itemize their bill, and, I charge for the inbound freight charges on parts. So far, I always get paid with no problem.

So, I include a few parts for myself, and let the customer pay the freight for all of the shipment.

Once in awhile, I can use my Ford Escort to run to a supply house about 30 miles away. Total gas is $10.00. So i bill the customer $20.00 for inbound freight.
 
(quoted from post at 21:56:16 02/03/12) wow i think i hit a nerve, my apologies.

No - just some folks sharing their experience from the other end. Anybody that has cut to the bone to ship cheap knows what I am talking about. I have sent a lot of my personal business to McMaster recently simply because of their shipping . They ship same day I order - always UPS - and they are the cheapest going. Never less than $5 and seldom more than $10 and some of my packages are large and hefty. Lots of times I couldn't buy the packaging for what they charge. They must get a great volume discount from UPS because I can't ship a thimble one block down the street for $5. I pay a bit more for the merchandise but the shipping convenience and cost makes it worth it. Plus their goods tend to be a bit better quality....

TOH - who prefers to pay for shipping over gasoline
 
(quoted from post at 16:50:41 02/03/12) I read some where that EBAY sellers are charged a fee based on the selling price. So some charge $1 and $50 shipping to beat the system

That used to be the way it worked, but not any more now they charge the fee on shipping too.

Now the people that were charging honest shipping cost get hit with fee just like the ones trying to get around it.
 
Boxes cost money and it takes time to pack and wrap stuff.Many small parts can be sent Priorty Mail for $4.50 but many places are making money on shipping .I sell farming books by mail order and have an order going to Mexico.It will cost 4 bucks a pound.It takes time to pick and wrap a book order large or small.I pay postage on orders of 50.00 or more in the US.You should see the customs sheets I have to fill out.5 copies to a form.Tractor parts are 18 to 28 miles away so I order in parts and dont fuss over postage.
 
John, try growing rutabagas instead of turnips.I used to buy mower parts from an outfit that shipped free on 100.00 orders.Seed companies have gone nuts on shipping.I look at shipping first when catalogs come in and toss the high priced shipping crooks.Try www.rareseeds.com.Their shipping is 3 bucks on any size order.
 
I have been able to stay in business for 40 years.
I have never raised my labor rate for the past 30 years. I have to charge for freight now, just so I can keep from going outta business.

Either that or raise my price of parts. So, what is a guy to do?
 
Nothing right about overcharging me double freight to cover your next job. I"d rather somebody be honest with me and go up on the labor rate..Of course I deal with folks every day and in most cases their labor rates are already terribly inflated.. Seems everyone wants to make a Living/killing of of Each Job
 
We always try do the job right the first time.
Therefore, WE always are putting ourselv's outta business with each job. :)

Now I am left with only 1 or 2 customers. Glad I only have THEM!

John
 
I have had my shop here since 1968 and find I tend to keep my labor in come,The rest gets eaten up by expenses.It takes 3 hours to haul the lumber for 5 tables.I dont get paid for this time.I handle a 1000 pounds of lumber 4 times before the tractor can move it on the carry all.After looking at that in print I might just quit making tables.I used to think that King Crab meat was too high until I saw the work it takes to catch the crabs.Now when I have some crab meat I give thanks to all who had a part in getting it onto my plate.We get too soon old and too late smart.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top