Original paint preservation methods

I'm not sure how it would look/work on a full tractor, but one product often used to make raw steel, surface rust, and old paint is 'Penetrol' - available at most paint stores. It's made to be a thinner for oil-based paint, but when applied on its own it dries clear, soaks into surface rust and paint a little, and gives it a fresh and slightly wet look. Also soaks into the rust and hardens to prevent it spreading and make it look a little darker and not rub off. Very popular with all the hipster folks who want to display old industrial or ag tools in as-is condition in their fancy modern 'steam-punk' houses, or when they want to have exposed steel beams in their house renos and make it look all funky/industrial. Might be worth trying on an inconspicuous area first to see what you think. You don't need a lot of it - I still have the same 1 quart container that's covered a couple exposed I-beams in two of my kitchen renos (where I knocked out several walls to make them open concept, and have large I-beams spanning the ceiling to take the bearing load - I left them exposed for a 'funky'/modern look) and a few other old piece of interest (an old cream separator and an old cast bubble gum machine).
 
I've always used boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits mixed 50/50 with just a little WD-40 sprayed in. Wipe on with a rag about every 2 months. There is also a good product out there called "Shine Juice" by VGG (Vice Grip Garage), a channel on Youtube. It is made by Poppy's Patina.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top