OT - brake controller

time2plow

Member
I recently purchased a 2007 GMC half ton pick up.
I need to hook up a brake controller for my car trailer.
The owners manual says that there is wires next to the data port that are "butt cut" and to hook the controller to them. I have crawled all under the dash and have found nothing "butt cut".
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. thanks
 
My chevy came with a wiring harness in the glovebox that plugged into a port on the fusebox under the dash that allowed for brake controller installation- it also included a large fuse that went into the fuse box under the hood that energized the trailer lights and put them all on seperate fuses than the truck lights.
The wires on this accessory harness were "butt-cut"- look in the door pockets, glove box, etc for the harness. It also had a round-to-flat trailer plug adaptor taped to it.
In the absence of the harness, a trailer shop or even TSC can hook you up with the right harness- I'd go that route rather than cut into anything.
 
Have you thought about driving to the dealer and asking the service manager where it hooks. Thats what i did sure worked out fine.
 
Unless you know positively that what you are doing is right, I'd go to a GM dealer or trailer shop.

I hooked up trailer lights on a Ford once, and they worked fine--as long as the trailer was hooked up. When the trailer was unplugged, the lights were all messed up on the pickup. Then I found out if you didn't use the Ford factory harness, you were basically screwed.
 
My 07 Chevy Came With A Harness For Brake Controller, I Would Look In glove Box Or Door Compartment. Thats Part Of The Towing Package.
 
My Mom had the same problem with her 07 Tahoe I went over and put in a controller for her after I found the wires which i believe there is four of them with pieces of black tape over the ends of them so they dont actually look butt cut because of the tape but they are underneath. But when i hooked up to the trailer to test it and it didnt work because the wires arent connected under the hood and have to be hooked up by a dealer so when took it to the local GM dealer and they connected to the main box under the hood.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top