OT/ Computer Help

jd b puller

Guys, need some help in a bad way...

Running Windows 7. I ran "Microsoft Security Essentials" and it picked up a malware. But it said I needed to download 'Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper" from their site, load it to a USB Flash Drive, then Boot from the Flash Drive and run the program.

I did this and it said it removed the threat. When it rebooted itself, it came up with the Windows Recovery page and it will not proceed thru to "boot up". It wants me to run a system recovery (and lose all data and programs on the computer).

I called microsoft and they said, you need the Windows 7 disks that didn't come with your computer, you'll have to call HP and get them. HP says they are free but it's $22 for shipping and handling (whatever, I have them on the way)...

Anyone have anything I can try or other ideas? I'm not real keen on losing everything.

Thanks in advance

You might ask 'bwire' over at that other forum for help.
He's really good with Windows systems.

Sorry I'm no help. Got mostly Macs these days.

I did start backing up to a boot-able external hard drive after my last crash. Most always a hard drive failure.
The back-up doesn't take long 'cause it's just an incremental (whatever changed since last time.)
Now, if my main machine pukes, I just take another machine, plug in the boot-able drive & I'm back in business.

Of course that back-up is only as fresh as the last one.

Good luck!

Your system discs are on the drive. Just run system recovery as instructed.

Hit whichever f key they tell you to and follow the directions.

you might be able to recover your files by getting a hard drive usb enclosure. be sure you get the right type (ide or sata, ide has a big flat cable and sata has a small round cable). install the drive in the enclosure, have another computer running, plug in the usb to the computer. if it recognizes the drive in the enclosure then you should be able to copy the files and burn the to a cd or dvd, or even a jump drive. then put the drive back into the computer, reformat and load windows 7 on it. this assumes the drive is still good. if it isn't then you will probably have problems, either copying the files or loading windows 7.
hope this is some help. you can get the enclosure from tigerdirect.com

frank

It should have a recovery partition on the hard drive. Punch F10 when you see the HP screen at boot up. It should give you the option to backup your data before you do the recovery.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back