OT-Cow housing

IOfarmerWA

New User
I just bought a big ol' milking shorthorn! Gentle ol' gal. She's 5 days fresh with a calf on her, a heifer to!

Question is...

I have an old wood planked sided lean to out behind the pole barn. It's 12x24' w/ a 16x24 cattle panel fence around it. Will this be enough room for cow/calf and possibly another calf or 2?

The area is all dirt. will it be a slop whole come spring?

thanks
 
I've got 86 head on 25 acres and its all slop now. I'd say that the area you describe will not be just slop come spring but gianormous slop.
 
I guess I failed to mention they could access 6 acres of good pasture also.

So that should work if they can get to the pasture?

I have 20 1600lb round bales of alfalfa. Will there be to much wasted if I just put it in a ring...or should I stand it on end and become friends with a pitchfork?
 
I have 7 right now and about 15 acres for them to run on but they still make a big mess in the barn where I feed them. I would like to be able to clean it out but this is Oregon and we sit on 2000 ft of mud not rock. Also the barn is up against a hill and the water run off comes right inside.

If you can get some good gravel or cement and keep it clean and let them roam the 6 acres and you should be OK.
Walt
 
It'll be slop the wet spring season 'here' when the frost comes out. That would be normal.

Size sounds ok, with the 6 acre pasture part in summer. Yard is a little small size if you have 4 in there, but certainly enough.

A mound of sand/gravel or some concrete would help you out down the road.

--->Paul
 
One cow and calf I'd rig a roof over the ring or feed it out.

Your little lot will be slop quick. 6 acres of pasture would be nice.
 
If you have good pasture that is where they should be feeding,browsing animals,keep the lucerne for reserve.I find the ring is easier,they can feed themselves.A roof on the leanto wouldn't go astray,particularly in cold weather.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top