I thought this would be a simple project for the afternoon. One of the u-joints of my 95 Dodge ram 2500 4x4 diesel has been bad for a while. It was one between the transfer case and front pumpkin. There are actually 3 u-joints in this shaft and they were still the originals so naturally replaced all three. Two of them are in a unit apparently called a “cardan”. Basically two u-joints back to back. I marked all the pieces so I could put them back in the same order to preserve the balance. Not thinking, (duh) I cleaned up the yokes in the sandblaster before putting in the new u-joints. Naturally that removed most of my markings! I still can make out some and think I have them align properly but not positive. After putting the shaft back in, I have a terrible vibration as soon as I engage the 4x4. Much worse than before with the sloppy, disintegrating u-joint. In this cardan unit, there is a ball joint that keeps those parts centered. I cleaned that up and greased the crap out of it but didn’t replace that ball joint. Not sure if it even is replaceable. I think it might be the problem as I can now push that joint back and forth some, which would put it off, center there. Anybody know if that joint is replaceable? It appeared at least part of it was made right onto the shaft.
Tim
Tim