OT - Garden Report

Bruce (VA)

This has been a strange garden year. Some crops didn't do well & others are doing fine. No English peas at all. Onions were golf ball size. Broccoli was so-so. But the lettuce & cabbage looks great, strawberries are great & potatoes look fine. Just tied the main crop tomatoes for the second time (that's early) and the heirloom tomatoes are out of the cages. (2' tall) Corn looks good; got the 4th crop in last week. No cukes; cuke beetles got them. I'll get two or 3 pickings out of the squash before the beetles get those.
IMG_20140525_144054_867_zpsa3fdf713.jpg

IMG_20140525_143938_953_zps5ab7964b.jpg

IMG_20140523_161039_459_zps9bba51d0.jpg

Its been cool and wet things are at a standstill... Planted corn twice,,, maters set'n there do'n nuttin... Other sruff is so so... BTW tie'n those mater cages will make a man out of ya... I was makeing up some,,,, my concrete bud showed up and gave me a roll of ties and the tool... 8)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bundle-of-1...pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27df513f45

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tying-Tool-...pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf7e8a974

I liked to never get the hang of that tool but once I did I rock and rolled with them..

I made tomato cages out the same wire about 25 years ago. I gave them away four years ago and they were still good shape.

" BTW tie'n those mater cages will make a man out of ya..."

That's for sure! Especially if you make them w/ channel locks & a bolt cutter!

Post a pic of your "custom cages".

Looks great from the pictures, especially compared to mine!
We had snow sleet/hail and frost one day last week.
It wasn't a hard frost and I only had seeds planted, no
plants yet so I think I'll be fine. Wait and see I guess.

when I made mine I cut the piece to length then on one end cut the vertical pieces off and looped the end around the opposing uncut end. no pliers needed but bolt cutter for sure and oh yeah gloves.

Makes a guy want to move to Virginia! I was working in the field two weeks ago and it was snowing, albiet lightly.

Colin, MN

Looking beautiful, Bruce! Sorry to hear that some things aren't turning out this year. Seems like there's always something that just doesn't like the weather we're dealt.

I used my cobbled together bed shaper today. Loosely based on the photos you sent me. Turned an afternoon's work into 20 minutes!

Colin, MN

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back