OT-Laptop/Notebook

G6 at Snook, TX

Well-known Member
Does anyone have a good suggestion for a basic laptop that we can use for word processing, and thats it? I can hook up to the internet from my desktop or when on vacation, I don't need too much internet access.
 
www.newegg.com

Check this site out for a large variety of laptops and netbooks. You"ll have it within a few days of ordering. They also have customer reviews you can check out.

My personal preference is Acer. They have the best warranty. At least, they did. Mine is still working fine after three years of constant use. I haven"t looked lately.

Unless you plan on replacing it every other year; you might consider one with room for more memory, a replaceable hard drive in case you want to up the storage capacity, and a large CPU in case you want to upgrade from, say, Windows XP to Windows 7.

Basic (cheap) is OK, but you will have components in it you won"t be able to replace and they will be woefully underpowered. Pages will load slow and video won"t play right.

I"ve been fooling around with computers a lot longer than tractors. :) :)

If you really want to get it now; you can get one from Walmart. Look the box over for the word "Refurbished." You don't think they get those low prices from first line laptops do ya?
 
This is just for word processing, excel, and so forth. Not for internet. Therefore, I am more interested in price than performance.
 
(quoted from post at 11:13:10 03/11/11) This is just for word processing, excel, and so forth. Not for internet. Therefore, I am more interested in price than performance.

Then buy the cheapest thing you can find :idea: Personally I'd avoid a netbook. Tons of W7 laptops with 1Gb of RAM and 250Gb of HD for under $300. That's plenty for most "word processing" applications. If you are going to be running a lot of "word processing" applications simultaneously consider upping the RAM to 2Gb - cheap performance boost. You don't need fancy graphics or sound and a wireless NIC will get you connected on the go - a must in my opinion. I like bigger screens but then that's just me. Unless you are going freeware the WP software is likely going to cost you more than the computer.

TOH
 
Shop around! I just spent a day or so looking for one. I would have liked to have had one for photos and the net when I'm away. A very big issue is the software, most box stores to keep the price low only have Win 7 loaded, nothing else. Actually the Mac at $900+ started to look like the best deal. It has a screen that blows the others away and had all the required software. Too many $$ for me, I quit looking!
 
I bought a walmart ACER after Xmas for 197.00. It is a netbook, small 10.1 screen. Good size keyboard - I bought a $20 wireless mouse with a usb plug in mod, I sit in bed and get on my reading glasses and read and search the net with this little guy, It is just as fast and just as smooth as anything I have every used. Now I have two 24" monitors at work that I look at all the time, this little 10 isnt bad sitting on your chest. My wife has a Toshiba that she loves, it too is a netbook. Both work better than some desktops work. I really like my little ACER - ACER is a good company with a bettr than average warranty....now my netbook might die tonight, but since xmas it has worked very well.

this is mine:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-AOD255E-2677/15689188

mine came with XP .....7 is a little more ram hungry than XP..
walmarts netbook
 
Does anyone have any experience with the open Office programs? I don't want to spend an extra $115 for Microsoft Office when all I really need is the Word, Excel, and Spread Sheet. The Wal-Mart flunky said that Office was not on the computer other than a starter program. He suggested the open office bit.
 
I use Open Office. It includes a Spread Sheet and
Data Base. Works just fine and will open Microsoft
Office documents.

search: Open Office
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top