OT: Lawsuit crazy USA

JML755

I frequent this party store near my house all the time. Crazy, mixed up country we live in where the judicial system lets stuff like this happen:
**************(from Macomb Daily newspaper article)

The owner of Nick's Party Stop on Cass Avenue in Clinton Township and several people connected to his store are being sued by a man who was shot while robbing the store.

The lawsuit, filed by Scott Thomas Zielinski from his cell in a Michigan prison, was assigned to Macomb County Circuit Judge David Viviano.

John Acho, owner of the store and one of the people sued, said his customers are mad that an armed robber is allowed to file a lawsuit after he threatened the store's employees with a knife.

Zielinski is seeking in excess of $125,000 for injuries sustained when he was shot running from the owners of the store. They went after him because he held two of the employees at knife point and

threatened to kill them, police said.

"He comes into my store wearing a mask and armed with a knife, threatens to kill my employees and steals cigarettes and $793 in cash," said John Acho, the store owner. "And he is suing us because we ruined his life and he is going through pain and suffering."

Zielinski, 22, was convicted of the November 2007 robbery. In a plea bargain, he was sentenced May 20, 2008 to eight to 22 years in prison for unarmed, instead of armed, robbery.

A year earlier he was sentenced to one year, seven months in prison for the robbery of Charter One Bank in Warren on Feb. 17, 2006.

Shortly after being released from prison, Clinton Township detectives said Zielinski walked into Nick's, frequented by Chippewa Valley High School students and workers, and stuck a knife in the face of several store employees to show he was serious about robbing the place.

"My store was robbed three times before this and our employees were prepared if it happened again," said Acho of Sterling Heights. "We are just protecting our property."

Acho told Clinton Township police his mother, nephew and cousin were working in the store when Zielinski walked in and put a knife to his mother's throat. After stealing money and cigarettes he was shot by Justin Kallo with a .357 caliber Magnum revolver.

The lawsuit contends that Kallo followed Zielinski out of the store and fired a second time, striking Zielinski in the back and arm. The lawsuit also contends that Kallo and employee Jonathan Kallo repeatedly punched and kicked Zielinski and held him for police.

In the lawsuit, Zielinski's attorney Andrew Mychalowych contends that his client suffered a gunshot wound to his left arm, contusions on his head and body and lacerations. He also said his client suffered mental anguish, anxiety and emotional distress and loss of capacity for the enjoyment of life.

"His attorney should go to jail for the accusations he made," Acho said.

"He said this armed robber is suffering from anxiety and emotional distress. Well, simply put, he could have avoided all of that by getting a job and working hard to make a few dollars like we do and not stealing our money that we worked very hard for and threatening to kill us."

Thomas Peters, Acho's attorney, said he filed a motion in Viviano's court to dismiss the lawsuit.

"His attorney claims we used unreasonable force in stopping the crime or stopping him from fleeing," Peters said. "Well, the employees were scared because he (Zielinski) had a 9-inch knife and threatened to come back and kill them if they lied about not having a safe."

Peters said Justin Kallo shot Zielinski when his life was threatened. Peters said Zielinski told the store employees he would come back and shoot them if they lied about not having a safe."

"The kid (Justin) thought they were going to die," John Kallo said.

According to the local sheriff here, when ya shoot 'em, ya gotta make darned sure that they are dead.

Otherwise, they'll sure as he!! bring a silly lawsuit. :>)

Allan

Something tells me that if the robber was killed, his mommy or daddy would try for the cash bonanza instead.
The apple usually does not fall far from the tree.

I agree with Allen, You have to shoot them dead.
Then there is no lawsuit.
Some losers are just better off dead.

I know exactly where this is, it is 5 minutes from my MIL's house.

That's part of what is wrong with this country. No one should be able to sue for injuries occurred while committing a robbery.

If he can sue maybe the shop owner, employees, and patrons can sue him for wrongful robbery and mental distress for fear of a future robbery.

(quoted from post at 16:31:32 08/31/09) To bad he didn't kill him. Then there would be no lawsuit.

This is pretty much the truth, right here.

Why is it that criminals have more rights than victims in this country?

I would think that if it ever did get to trial that it would either be thrown out or the judge would be asking what the robbers lawyer was thinking. I also suspect that he would end up paying the other sides legal fees because he is wasting the courts time. There's some bad judges but surely they wouldn't have any sympathy for this loser and his lawyer. Dave

The State, or Federals should be filing for any and all funds that he may win, for the expense of keeping him. To NOT make it worth his trouble, and he give up.

Remember this suit has been filed, not heard. If attorneys refused such nonsense, it might help alleviate some of the backlog in the courts. Don't get me wrong, I have no sympathy what so ever for this guy and think this suit is ludicrous.

The reason this happens is most states do not require filing fees, etc,. for inmates to file legal motions. Since attorneys are required to do a certain amount of work at no charge, the attorney may have gotten stuck with this case whether he wanted it or not.

I think it was Arizona that started requiring the inmates to pay the court filing fees and virtually all of this kind of nonsense stopped.

Even more ludicrous is the suit that was filed by a career burglar in England. He and an accomplice broke into a farmer's home. The farmer woke up and got a gun. The farmer killed the accomplice and wounded the "career" burglar. The surviving burglar successfully filed charges against the farmer. The farmer went to jail for 5 years before his attorney was able to get him out. This story is true. I read the news article on CNN when the farmer got out of jail.

I would be more than over joyed if the attorney that took this case was robed at gun point, maybe have his face shaved with a 9" knife by the robber in the process. If it happened to the judge, well that would be a plus also.

We all know that the courts bring shame to our country, and I realize that the courts are often to expensive for a person to get justice as well.

If a poor person is wronged, alot of them must take it in the shorts because they lack the funds for a attorney. For those of you that claim our courts are fair to all? I guess ya never went to court before, and perhaps watch alot of TV court shows.

I live in St .Clair.Shores ,MI so i to have been following this story.

In the 16 years i have legally carried a gun we have always been tought you aim to kill.

We have always been told that we would get sued if you wound someone.

This is just another aspect of our fine goverment, we give social security to non residents and support them.

The sad part about this news story is that the knot head in jail will win. He now has a life long problem, don't let the facts that led up to the problem get in the way.

Best of all the putz running our goverment wants our guns.

I'll keep my money , guns and freedom.

You keep your change....

Like Allen said, he should have shot to kill, but the second mistake was shooting him while he was running away.

I applaud the store owner for shooting the bum, but the bum's laywer is probably saying the bum wasn't a threat to the store owner while the bum was running away. Now the poor bum has to eat his jail food with one arm cause the other one has a hole in it, and he has to do something else one-handed (hopefully the non-dominant hand) after the food goes through.Jim

We had a similar incident a few years ago in Northern Lower Michigan. Store owner chased down the thief and shot him in the back wounding him. Of course, the store owner was found guilty of some charges (can't remember what). Thief no longer posed a threat as he was running away, although he too was charged/convicted of the theft.

As to all ill informed , "Let's kill tthe Lawyer " types , be advised the federal court forces lawyers to take these prisoner's civil cases at no charge so the taxpayers don't have to foot the bill.You can thank the local bar for taking it on the chin for the legal fees.Please don't blame lawyers without any justification.It is uncivilized and uninformed hypocrisy.

This is what happens when you leave them breathing.

He should have pumped another round into the scumbag as a courtesy.

Repeat after me: "Your honor, I was in fear for my life". Is is more believable if there is no live plantif to contest your statement.

Do you think your statement is correct... when he shot him the crime was over so, if he died ,could the shooter be charged with murder,? never know what the lawyers could do with this one.

He should have killed him. Then he would have prevented this scum bag from harming someone else.If you chose to be a robber,then you have to take the hazards of the job. The reason I feel this way.I had a cousin in prison. Some bleeding heart couple took him in when he got out. Gonna change him. He killed the man and raped the wife and left her for dead. An old farmer took him out. When he tried to kick in his back door. Robber meets 10 guage at five feet. Best thing that ever happened to him.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back