OT: Like a lamb to the slaughter....(very long)

JerryS

Almost. I am not very computer savvy. In fact, I?m somewhat intimidated by the thing, always afraid that I?m going to do the wrong thing and screw it up forever---with the resultant loss of much irreplaceable data.

So, I was a sitting duck last week when, while I was clicking on a very benign web site, I suddenly got an alarm that sounded like the ?Dive!? klaxon on a submarine. I also got an official-looking page on my screen that indicated that it was from Microsoft. It advised me that I had been attacked by a Trojan malware, and that I was in danger of losing all my data if I did not follow the following instructions carefully. Under no circumstances should I continue using my computer or turn it off. Instead I was advised to call an 800 number that would connect me to Microsoft tech support for rescue instructions.<br

Well, I haven?t renewed my Mensa card for many years, so like a little lamb I plunged in and called the number. First unnoticed clue: I got a live ?human? on the second ring?no multi-layered automated response protocol. Second clue: he spoke with some unidentifiable accent. Undeterred, I plunged ahead.

?Jason Stark? asked me to read the information on my screen, after which he expressed alarm and concern and told me that this Trojan thing?not a mere virus, but a far more malevolent demon?had invaded my entire ?network?. Every device connected to my computer, even my modem, was now housing the Trojan.

Fortunately, he said, he believed he could take care of it, but I would have to allow him to get into my computer. ?Oh, please, please!? I said. Once in control, he flicked through various sinister-looking computer-language things, with comments like ?Oh, this is bad!?

Soon he said that this problem was so complex that he would have to confer with his supervisor--another unnoticed warning. He then held the phone away and carried on a conversation with ?Ray?. When he came back to me he said that they had agreed upon a plan of attack: they would first do a ?manual? restore and then follow it up with a permanent fix. To this point I was still convinced that ?Jordan?, the Microsoft expert, was my best friend. He had not once mentioned cost, so I had not noticed all the red flags. I need to point out that during most of this exchange that shrill alarm klaxon was still whooping, increasing my tension and anxiety. Anything, anything, to shut off that noise.

He had his fish on the line, now to set the hook: they would perform the manual fix, but it would be pointless without the permanent fix. He offered a one-year fix for $349, a three-year for $499, and a five-year for only $699. Even now, I still did not smell the rat. Instead, I simply said that I would not, could not pay that much to fix my computer---I would just throw it away. At this point he began to go into his hard sell, and only then did I begin to see the light. I just hung up the phone.

I still had his junk on my screen, and I assumed that he still had full control of my computer. My first reaction was to call my credit card and put it on hold. Second, I called the ATT computer tech number I keep in my phone. The nice ATT lady told me to turn my computer off. Then she told me to unplug my modem for several seconds, then plug it back in. This, she said, would reset my IP address, and even if ?Jordan? did try to get back in my computer, he couldn?t find the new address.

She told me that the website I had clicked on when the alarm went off had nothing to do with the event: the scammers? computers are endlessly searching for IP addresses that are in use at the moment, and when it finds one it latches on and sets the scam in motion.

I apologize for this being so long, but if this information helps anyone else to avoid being robbed, it will have served its purpose.

Jerry, ..Thanks for that post as it will help a lot of people. I got caught in that trap about 2 years ago. I spent 200 dollars before I hung up. But I did get my money back but I still have not got rid of the slime. I get unwanted calls from them at least twice a week sometimes more. I have had the phone company put a block on them and the next week there they are again. I don't know how they get around it. Also why do they keep calling ? They must know by now that they are not going to get me hooked again. I am also on the do not call list. Doesn't help at all. ..Thanks ..Jack

(quoted from post at 14:36:35 06/13/16) Jerry, ..Thanks for that post as it will help a lot of people. I got caught in that trap about 2 years ago. I spent 200 dollars before I hung up. But I did get my money back but I still have not got rid of the slime. I get unwanted calls from them at least twice a week sometimes more. I have had the phone company put a block on them and the next week there they are again. I don't know how they get around it. Also why do they keep calling ? They must know by now that they are not going to get me hooked again. I am also on the do not call list. Doesn't help at all. ..Thanks ..Jack

They get around your phone block because they have your number all they have to do is use a different disposable number to call from. As far as the "do not call list is concerned". Anyone you have done business with or their affiliates are not affected by the no call list. Plus it's most likely a foreign based person calling. They are located outside of the US and the no call law only extends to our borders. Our laws have no meaning in other countries and we have no jurisdiction in their country.

Rick

Jerry,

Thanks for sharing. I think you may well help someone avoid getting into the same trouble.

(And while it was not a pleasant experience... it was VERY well written.)

The scammers are pretty good at what they do. Consider yourself lucky.
Several years ago, my brother was dating a lady who runs a shipping store. In other words, if you have a FedEx package to ship, she will print out the label and have the FedEx delivery guy/gal pick it up and send it to the destination. One day a farmer came in to have a package shipped. She asked him how much he wanted it insured for. He said: "$10,000". She then asked him what the package contained. His answer: "$10,000 in cash". The farmer had almost lost his money to somebody who tried to scam him. It took a little while, but this lady finally convinced the farmer that somebody was trying to scam him.

I find it hard to believe that in this day and age anyone would fall for that fraud. Then again, as P.T Barnum said "there is a sucker born every minute!" Just turn the damn computer off or pull the power cord. NEVER call any of those numbers that appear in these scams as they now have your home number and you have not heard the last of it. Pay close attention to your bank and credit card statements.

Nicely written.

They aimed pretty high, more often it is a $29.99 bill for 'fixing' your computer, but they put a bug in it to either or both collect data or lock it up again in a month so you call back and pay $49.99 the second time.....

Don't feel too bad, there is a police dept on the east coast that got their data locked up, was such a good job they ended up having to pay to get their records back. A police dept! Sheez.

Paul

Better put a hold on all your credit cards. While "Jason" was talking to you I guarantee they downloaded everything they could from your documents, old emails, anything they can use to steal anything they can get.

Retired Farmer, "You should have just shut your computer off and waited for about thirty seconds and restarted."

That is very good advise! If you can think quick enough, shut the entire computer down. I've got those hi-jack popups before, and so far that has usually worked. A couple times I've had to do a restore.

What you DON'T want to do is hit the X or any other box on the page. That will usually launch the program and they got you!

A good, up to date, paid for virus protector is the best defense!

My daughter got a "Blue Screen" at startup one day on her laptop and it would not let her past it. She was freaking out because her final term papers for collage were on it and she did not have it backed up. Fortunately there was a help number she could call to have it fixed at the bottom of the screen. Yea Right. So she bites and is on the phone with this supposed help center to fix her problem. She gave the guy control of her computer remotely and he comes back with a price of $500.00 to fix it. He told her to not turn it off or all would be lost (his connection is all that would be lost). Next thing I know she comes to me saying my bank will not let the credit card transaction through to pay the bill for it to be fixed. What card transaction? MINE. She gave them my card info (another issue I took care of later). So next I say let me talk to this guy. After a brief conversation the reason card transaction did not work (thank god) is because it was an overseas transaction and my bank stopped it. I told the guy there was no way I was going to pay them without knowing who they are and where they are located. He promptly pasted a fancy looking certificate on her desktop showing their credentials. I told him that was nice, but I can make a cert that looks like that too and even include Microsoft's logo on it to make it look as good as his. Then he got nasty and said if we do not do this she would never access her computer again. I told him I was fine with that. Do your thing. He started to type some sort of code and I turned off the router. He was done. So I reboot her machine in safe mode and start looking around. Found her files and backed them up on an external drive. Then went to work on the problem. Ran four different pieces of software through it and found all the junk causing problems. Problem solved. Took about fours to complete. Then told her to leave the Virus and Malware software on it this time and do not remove it. Turns out her boyfriend took it off. Told her it was just taking up space and wasn't needed. I told her that until she marries him he does not call the shots. He almost cost her her final papers she needed to graduate.
Most of this stuff is easy to catch and fix as long as you have some good software in place and use it now and again.

Greg

Do not "turn" your computer off. Crash it, remove the power plug or if a lap top the battery. with some of these any keystroke or action will embed the virus.

I also have seen that screen. most of the time, the warnings about not shutting off your computer are just idle threats. At that point, they most likely do not have the capability to encrypt your files or data.
HOWEVER, let this be a lesson!! BACK UP your data and files. Then the threat is neutralized. Worst case, you have to reformat your drive and re-install your operating system and restore your files.

One other warning.....NEVER, and I mean NEVER allow an outside party to take control of your computer from remote unless it is somebody that you TRUST IMPLICITLY. While they are in control, they can look through your personal information like bank records, password files, account numbers, cookies with personal information in them, and just about anything else that you have on the computer.

And, here is another plug for avoiding Windows10.... If you had to reformat and re-install your operating system and software sometime in the future AFTER the deadline for the "free" windows 10 "upgrade" passes, you would now have to go out and buy it.

I got one of those guys, led him along for 10 or 15 minutes, as he was asking what the screen said now, I said, OH, Here it is; It reads this is a scam, and you are full of bulls#it!! Some reason the guy hung up .... don't know why.

You are lucky on that one all right. Hope you never get what I got a year or so ago. My computer was locked up, until I paid these bottom feeders 500.00 or I will lose everything. Well I lost everything. I wasn't going to pay them a cent. It did cost a fair amount to restore my computer. I had to reinstall everything like a new computer. I did lose a lot of pictures. I got some back on this sight, by going to the history, and finding my posts, and I copied some pictures from there. stan

(quoted from post at 05:10:03 06/14/16) You are lucky on that one all right. Hope you never get what I got a year or so ago. My computer was locked up, until I paid these bottom feeders 500.00 or I will lose everything. Well I lost everything. I wasn't going to pay them a cent. It did cost a fair amount to restore my computer. I had to reinstall everything like a new computer. I did lose a lot of pictures. I got some back on this sight, by going to the history, and finding my posts, and I copied some pictures from there. stan

Another example why you should back up everything on your system. I got a terabyte external drive and set the back up to put everything out there on a schedule. Haven't been attacked yet (wonder if the somewhat slow speed satellite internet I have deters them) but I feel I'm ready if they do.

I get similar pop ups warning me my computer is infected with malware and about ready to crash the computer network in the i entire western hemisphere. When this happens don't panic, do a sniff test If it won't let you exit from the pop-up it's probably a scam. You should be running some sort of anti virus/malware program, if the pop up isn't from them it's probably a scam. Know what your anti-virus anti malware does when it finds a problem, know what it looks like and how it acts. Mine will either ask me if I really want to go there and explain that it did a sniff test and it doesn't smell good OR it will tell me if found something and quarantined it and here it is if I'm really feeling brave.

As far as ransom ware it would seem to me that all you got to do is follow the money and if our illustrious government would work on things like this (crimes) rather that focusing on who can use what bathroom it might not be a problem much longer.

You are not the first and not the last to be conned by these people. It can happen to even the best computer persons.

I had one of those recently, a red screen came up with the red x disabled. Bad sign to me. I turned the computer off for a short time, then turned it back on, everything was fine. They threatened loss of files, passwords, and financial info. Well, I don't bank online and have files backed up, I hope. I have pictures backed up on cds. If they get my credit card number I'll call the card company and they will be happy to to cancel that number and give me a new number. If they get my pass word to YT or other sites, I fail to see the problem, though I guess they could send out spam. Same with email. I made up my mind that I would buy a new computer or at least a new hard drive before I would give these creeps a cent.

KEH

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back