OT: Pickup problems

Tim in OR

Member
I worked a long one today. Of course my pickup decided to test me when it was time to go home. 1st, its a 69 GMC with a early 80's small block.
When I tried to start it, it only turned a little bit then stopped like a hydraulic lock. I hit the key a few times and it rolled over and started. Now it hammers. There is a small amount of water coming out of the exhaust ( the hydraulic lock ). The hammering gets louder when I push in the clutch. The free play is normal. I feel the vibration in the clutch and in the shift lever. I worked a 13.5 hour, 383 mile day today, so I'm not thinking all that well. I'm thinking that I have a broken crank, what do you think?
 
I think you're really, really tired.

Get some rest and tackle this when you're fresh. Your mind and senses can play tricks on ya when your whipped.

Allan
 
You probably have a crack in one of the heads, that leaked water into a cylinder or a bad gasket will give you a leak also. When you attempted to start the motor the water will not compress, and you may have broken a piston. Stan
 
Saw lights on at friends deisel shop 11 pm. His helpers were putting a clutch in a Detroit they needed to have running by 6 am. "Do you know which side of this clutch faces the flywheel?" they asked. I spun the clutch around so they could see printed on it "This side to flywheel". My advice: get some rest, boys.
 
Was working late putting a rebuilt 6 in a Ford cab over truck.Boss was pushing hard to finish that day.He started it,no oil pressure.He raced the engine ,I turned the ignition off.We dropped the oilpan and found in his rush to finish, the gasket between the pickup tube and the block had one bolt thru it, the gasket was sticking out sideways.
 
Check for a broken piston. Remove spark plugs. Touch one end of a long wire to top of a piston. Turn engine over by hand. If a piston doesn't move it's broken.
 
It's morning! Let's go!

Wasn't trying to be a butt last night, but you were a bit incoherent. :>)

Small amount of water running out the tailpipe: Normal. That engine runs on steam as a part of the combustion process. You were seeing the condensation of that steam at your tailpipe.

Broken crank. Doubt it; you probably would have been walking if that were the case.

Early eighties engine; grunts when started and now hammers: Only heavy duty truck engines had steel camshaft gears; everything else had a plastic coated gear to keep the engine noise down.

That plastic would come off, fall in the oil pan and the engine would then jump time. That's the first place I'd look on that rascal.

Also, and for what it is worth, that gear can be replaced in roughly 2 hours without pulling the pan. However, those pieces of plastic can sometimes plug the oil pump pickup tube; watch your oil pressure.

Engine is noisier and gearshift vibrates when the clutch is pushed: Check the transmission mounting bolts; those dudes had a nasty way of working loose.

Perhaps you need an engine, who knows? But these are just some ideas for you to work with.

Sounds like you're a very hard working guy and need your truck. Hope you find the trouble and get it fixed in a hurry.

Allan
 
My son drove my 1986 and milage was poor he timed it a little faster and it blew the head gasket on the right side between 2 pistons. It sounded like a rod bearing got louder under load shook all over .
 
Coolant leaked into cylinder from cracked head or head gasket,hydra-locked,it finally pushed out the water through valves by repetitively hitting the key.Now you pro'ly have a bent connecting rod which explains the vibrating due to imbalanced engine.The piston is cocked to the side from the bent con. rod making the knocking noise.BTDT
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top