OT. Plane or Train??

Peabo

Member
I don't post a whole lot but read a great deal on here and enjoy most every minute of it. I got a question for you experienced travelers.

I have to travel from the Carolinas up to New Yawk City. Would you take plane or a train. I don't particularly like the idea of a commercial airplane, but have never ridden a train. Any non-obvious advantages or disadvantages to either? I know the train will take longer but will it be less hassle? Thanks for your help.

-Peabo
 
Having both a dislike for Airplanes and a bum ticker I travel to Calif. on the train several times. If you get a sleeper its not a bad trip but cost quite a bit more but food is included plus a private lounge car that is never crowded.
The other way is to go cheap and then try to sleep in seat like on the bus but meals are not included and the lounge car is always stuff to the gills.
Walt
 
Last time I checked flying was cheaper than taking the train on a long distance trip . but for short hops like when the wife goes to chicago from spfld we can get tickets on sale for 15.00 or less sometimes . you can't drive a little over 225 miles for that anymore
 
I would do a train anytime. Getting to and from an airport is sometimes brutal. trains run to downtown generally and in NY you can get the subway to most anyplace. Beside, trains are much more comfortable and more laid back plus a good view. Henry
 
I agree on the senic view ,but it would cost me over 1200.00 each for the wife and I to take amtrak to califorina and a couple of days ,I can fly for 500.00 both ways or less if southwest has a fare sale .
 
if it was me, i would take the train, less hassle boarding,with airplanes, if you board after they decide if you are a terrorist, or have objectionable personal habbits ect,then you got to hope the plane runs long enough to get to your destination, on the train, you get to stay on the ground, you get to see the scenery,no airport mess when you get there,
 
If you decide to fly, wear pants with an elastic waist band, no belt. You'll have to remove the belt to go through the metal detector. Also slip on shoes for the same reason.
 
I love the train.
Have made two Amtrack trips from St Paul to the west coast and they were more fun than any trip I've ever taken. Takes a lot longer to get there but the ride is half the fun.
 
After taking a few train trips, I love them if you have a sleeper or bunks. We still have a few with dome cars here. So much less hassle and you can take anything you want practically. Up here if you tell them in advance you can even bring a canoe.
 
The train takes you right into NY city, and you can conveniently transfer right there to the various subways.

A plane leaves you well outside the city, with no convenient transportation mode into the city.

Friends who routinely travel to NY city all always take the train.
 
I thoroughly enjoy traveling by train. The rail lines tend to travel over scenery not seen from the highway.
North America would do well to improve commuter rail service and cut back on air travel.
Driving 1-2hrs in then 1-2hrs out of the city is nuts. There are suburban parking lots for the GO and VIA train in Ontario. Park and be in the city core with less stress in 1/2 hr.
 
You probably don't have to have a rectal exam to get on a train. Certainly is more relaxing and I don't think they give a lot of crap about your luggage like at the airport. I'd take the train, you might not get another chance.
 
I have taken the train from Windsor to Toronto a couple of times. Much better than driving, a car in Toronto can be a liability.
 
Carolinas to NYC? That's a 2 hr trip by plane more or less. Fly into JFK, take the Airtrain to either Howard Beach or Jamaica Station, that should get you a subway connection into Manhattan.

I wouldn't worry too much about airport security, it's pretty simple, don't make any smartass remarks, take off your shoes and jacket, take your laptop out of it's case and you'll have no problems. The real problem I have with JFK is finding the security line, I've flown out on the same flight several times and had to go to different places each time.
 
JFK & LaGuardia are a pain to get to by car, with the way traffic is in those areas. I was there when they built that train, that was an interesting project, as well as the new Jamaica station, was working nearby on Jamaica Avenue on the Queens Family Courthouse. I forget, but did they also connect LaGuardia with that new train, it takes a turn past Jamaica Ave, and runs along the Van Wyck, never knew if both were connected or just JFK.

If you fly into Newark, (and I like that airport best due to less or flowing traffic on the NJ TPKE), you just need car service to the city, fly in off rush hour or just avoid typical rush hour or SAT/SUN, it's a real breeze, just go in the Holland or Lincoln tunnel depending on where you need to be. If you are staying in Manhattan, this is just as easy, might pay a little for car service, but what you save from flying will take care of that. Make car service arrangements ahead of time. They have a monorail train within the Newark facility, but I think you would have to connect to the PATH trains or NJ Transit trains to get in, after the WTC was destroyed, I can't remember what was back in service in lower Manahattan, crossing the hudson river, you used to take the PATH train and come out under the towers and go up the biggest darned escalator I've ever seen. You would have to look into a connector to the trains in Newark to get across, I forget where the NJ transit trains run from the south, I used to take those, should be a connector with all the traffic that airport gets, but if not you can fly to Newark and take care service as an option, just make sure your arrangements are made in advance.

The area near Jamaica Station may not be friendly after dark, late evening, early morning BE CAREFUL in that area ! I used to come in early 3-4am, to the job to secure parking for my crane or tractor trailer deliveries, the people who work at the big federal building next door come in at 5:30 am to get parking, besides that, it's dark and nothing is open, plus the neighborhood can be unfriendly at those hours.

Also consider pulling your luggage around, getting in/out of the stations in NYC, there are some long stairways with no escalators, and some of these trains are JAM packed, take a look at the times you will be getting on them and what stations you need to get off, put it this way, some of these trains when you get off and get out of the station are a major clusterf#ck, you can get on an empty train downtown, and by the time you get to Penn station in the 30's it's mobbed, then when you get off the last stop at 53rd ( I forget the line ) fooling with luggage and the stairs, not something I'd want to have to do.

Not all stations are like this, but you need to be aware of it, you can't imagine the people that use mass transit, it's amazing. I hated touching railings and things and would wear gloves and wash my hands quite a bit, not a phobic, but with that many people, it's peace of mind. I used to stay on the surface and hand in my taxi receipts. When there is gridlock up top, down below can be just as bad, say when the president is in town, that really screws up the works sometimes.


If you take a train to grand central or penn station, you'll be in midtown manhattan, the A, C, E, lines are easy in/out, it runs under 6th-8th, forget now, more on the west side though. Look up the NYC MTA subway maps, also Port Authority NY NJ, and learn them so you can orientate yourself, get a metro card too, the last thing you want is to be seen staring at the maps in confusion with luggage in tow, more so in bad neighborhoods, Manhattan is usually ok, from the 60's below central park to Battery City Park. Rule of thumb, don't look or act like a tourist if at all possible, it helps to blend right in and always be aware of your surroundings, never stand close to the edge of the subway station platform with nothing behind you. Also when on the streets, PAY CLOSE ATTENTION, it's very easy to get run over, I have had my nose shaved more than once and was walking across 9th ave once when a bus took off from it's stop and hit the guy next to me, who just got off work from my project, was a mason tender laborer, just a chipped tooth, but it happened quickly. Just some friendly advice, fun place to visit no doubt.
 
Thanks for the heads up Billy NY, and for everyone else"s input too. Yall are a great group of guys. I checked on the train but I can"t find any trains that will fit my scedule to well, so I guess I will fly..... but the next time I take a liesure trip I am gonna do the train. Thanks

-Peabo
 
Here, in order of preference, are my modes of travel.


#1 my pickup ( If I can't get my buddy to fly me in his 172)
#2 My Honda Rancher
#3 By foot (that means I am hunting something)
#4 Walk, crawl, hitch hike, etc.
#5 Train
#6 repeat all of the above
#7 as a last resort, fly commercial.

Gene

Alas, I am flying to Miama in a few weeks. Never been there. Kinda distressed that they will not let me pack my .357 or AR-15


Gene
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top