OT round up ready corn

This is my first year of planting round up ready corn and it is doing extremely well. I sprayed roundup around the 24in mark to let some of the weeds emerge. This did a very good job of cleaning up the rows. Last week when it started to tassel, I noticed quite a bit of weeds about 6 inches tall starting to mess up my pretty corn around the edges and outside rows. I backpack sprayed those weeds for the two outside rows to make it really look better but now I am experiencing some yellowing of the bottom two leaves on each plant. It kinda looks like a nitrogen burn or being low on nitrogen even. I did side dress everything at the 18in stage with 34-0-0 and it grew like wildfire and didn't show any signs of burn then. The corn is now silking but it concerns me about this spraying I did. The label calls for 10 leaf nodes or 3ft tall at the latest as an over the top spray but since I sprayed much later will that hurt it. At most my backpack overspray was mainly on the root shoots coming down and was not over top of the plant obviously . Again, please forgive my corn knowledge as I am not a pro but my corn has done the best it ever has and has looked good without those 3ft tall weeds that won't bind my picker. I am only a small operation of about 10 acres just wanting to feed out a few cows. We have been getting average rain about every 4 days. So to sum it all up, will the corn I sprayed die or did I just ding it?

Thanks

I would call I roundup flash and it should go away or not be a problem in a few days. You might have had kind of a heavy dose of roundup maybe. The plant needs to process it through, and it is dinged a bit until it does.

We see it in beans, spray them late and overlap a spot and they flash yellow for a few days.

Paul

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back