OT, Sometimes It's The Little Things....

Bryce Frazier

Today I was in the worst place in the world, Walmart.

I was checking out, and in front of me was a younger gal, probably 25 ish. She had a little girl with her, who was probably 6 or 7. She had this little toy she was playing with, little doll thing, and she was clearly pretty excited to be getting a present. Well, about 3/4's of the way through this gals stuff, she told the cashier to stop ringing stuff up, she couldn't pay anymore than that. So they set 4 or 5 things off to the side, and she turned around to take the toy from the little girl. She apologized to her, and said they just couldn't afford it today.

WELL, instead of a temper tantrum, crying, screaming, or anything else I might have expected. She handed it right over, and very saddened said, "maybe next time?" and the mom said "hopefully". She was the best behaved kid I've seen in awhile, and cute as can be by the way...

They were putting bags in their cart, and I snatched the toy from the cashier and bought it. (it was $5.29) SPRINTED out the door, and spotted them in the parking lot, mom was putting stuff in the car, and the little girl was waiting. I ran up, knelt down to her level, and handed her the toy. She immediately went ecstatic. Squealed and said thank you thank you about 5 times and gave me a little hug. The mom was a little surprised, and told me that was very kind, and completely unnecessary. I just smiled and said don't worry about it, told them both to have a nice night and went on my way.

Was a good reminder to me to be thankful for what I've got. Also a reminder to pass it forward. Something SO small and simple to me made that little girls day, all for half the cost of a crappy fast food lunch.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all, I wish you all the best.

Bryce

You're a good man. Seems all anyone hears about anymore is the many forms of human selfishness. In this situation, you, the mother, and the little girl all demonstrated kindness, generosity, and gentleness. An all around great experience!

That's a wonderful story! Something like my wife would do. About a year ago she had groups of cloths that our youngest kids outgrew listed forsale online on a parents Facebook group. One lady responded and said she'd like one large group of boys cloths for her son and they agreed on $65. She said her sister in law would pick it up at our house. She noticed on the lady's Facebook page that she spent the previous 4-5 weeks in the hospital with her other child and they weren't sure how much longer before they could come home. The lady showed up with $65 dollars in hand and my wife told her she saw the story and she couldn't take any money for it. The lady later emailed so happy that she showed kindness to them as you have done for that little girl. Good on you! More of us need to show compassionate for others.

That was a mighty nice thing to do, Bryce! Somebody raised you in the right manner and it paid off. Sometimes it's the little things that matter and maybe the young lady'll be able to pay it forward one day for someone!! To all the YT'ers out there, have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!! We go to my SIL's for lunch (25miles away) and my baby sister's (16 miles the other way!) for supper! Thank goodness I'm off Friday!!

Very, very, nice. You called this a little thing, and to you it probably was. To that little girl and her Mom, that gesture was huge. Great Job.

Well done Bryce. We don't have to elect role models, just have to live as one. Those random acts of kindness can have a long-lasting impact on you as well as the person you blessed. Have a great Thanksgiving!

This is what make this site so great is all the goodness in hearts of folks on here.

Your a GOOD young MAN!!!!! Bryce this was a small thing to you but I bet that little girl will remember this for the rest of her life. In my mind you did a very honorable thing by rewarding her good behavior.

The world probably needs more of that but sadly it is coming a thing of the past. At 73 you made me tear up a little . Thanks for doing the right thing.. I promise you as you age if you continue to live you life like that you will be rewarded..JM.

Good Job!
Will try to remember this in the next few weeks!

Remember: Jesus is the reason for the season.

You are a very good man. You know that the joy you brought to that little girl cannot be measured in dollars and cents. A couple of years ago I was in the Culvers in Marshalltown Ia. I was in line behind a young couple with two little boys. They all were a little scruffy but clean. The little boys were very well behaved. I noticed that they were scrounging all pockets and purses to find enough money to buy their treats. I discretely handed the lady a $20. and said the treats are on me. After a lot of hugs and carrying on they decided they could accept my gift. I also like to pay for a pregnant lady's drink at Starbucks. A friend told me that I'm a damned fool. I told him that being a damned fool feels pretty good sometimes, especially since I have been in their shoes.

I didn't mean it to be a hero or anything, just to do a nice gesture.

And, although I hate to admit it, I REALLY like little kids!! :)

More than anything though, mom mother has pounded into my head that what goes around comes around!

Thank you so much Bryce. I will give you a big GOOD BOY!!!! Many big smiles and a pat on the back for good measure.

Great job Bryce. Far too often bad, or indifferent, behavior gets rewarded.....thus the mess we see happening now days.....

As such, it's good to see a kid who was obviously being raised right, and acting right, getting rewarded another young man who was obviously raised the same way.

That was very good of you to do that,when we used to own a store/gas station when I was a teenager I used to give away little things to kids like chewing gum that had picked up a pack and
their parents could afford to buy beer and cigarettes but nothing for the kids.Don't mean to imply that the lady with the child you had contact with today fits that's catagory.My hat is off to the lady for raising such a nice child, these days thats very unusual.

I knew you were going to do that before I finished reading your post because I have been reading your post since you first joined the forum and your good character was showing. Happy T-day and happy farming.

Not my words , just passing along something. Matt 6:1 "Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven."

Not my words , just passing along something. "Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven."

Bryce, Good for you. It's hard to believe it, but there are still folks around like you but they are getting to be far and few. Keep up doing good deeds for people and some of the good deeds will come back your way. Have a good Holiday.

I guess when you look up "nice guy" your picture is there. That was a really nice thing to do.

Bryce don t know what more to say.Already a lot of good said.great to know there are some of the younger generation with a good head on their shoulders.Your mom & dad should be proud. Richard

Great job... everything except Wal Mart is the worst place in the world??? If it's so bad why did you go there????
Wal Mart serves much of rural America when no one else would or could at these prices !!!
Cmore

Bryce ,,thanks for sharing that,,and hanging here on Y/t with us old guys,,a young man like you sure does cheer us old guys up.I really enjoy reading all your posts.You are a fine young man!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back