OT / Story on saftey issues-please add on

Anonymous-0

This time of year with all the cold and snow I have to much time on my hands and to lazy to do anything to as well. A bunch of us were talking about close calls and I will list a few and certianly wish everyone could help us.

I have a WD Allis that has had alot of birthdays and the pin that goes through the steering shaft just above the knuckle wore out or dropped out.

A friend had a WD 45 Allis that his father was plowing with and when he raised the plow over a waterway and dropped it into the sod the bottom snap coupler let loose and the lift latches kept pulling thus it pushed the snap coupler mounted plows top half forward pinning him against the steering wheel, no broken bones

This is odd and for OLD probably more than most on this form. I have a W AC like olds grader. Alot of them slipped a chunk of pipe over the hand brake to extend it upwards so while the driver was standing up it was eazy to grab the brake. Mine has these pipes, and once while i was loading down hill on a trailer the pipe got caught behind a bolt on the grader. It would have been very simple to just push sideways, but I instead tried to keep pulling harder in a panic.

Another time I was loading a AR JD with steel wheels on to a trailer. I had 3" x 12" white oak planks to drive up on. I had used the same plank for three years probably, but one snapped at a knot and when the steel wheel got to the trailer bed it grabed the bumper and had a positive grip. This brought the front end up and then it spun sideways. The other hind wheel was on top of the trailer--thus the tractor was sideways on the trailer / ground. The three kids thought it was kool, almost brushed the side of them.

My dad had a 60 JD and was driving down a new highway not open for trafic yet in road gear with a 4 row cultivator on. The snap ring behind the flywheel broke and locked the engine up and tossed dad over the side of the steering wheel onto the pavment / cultivator skidding both hind wheels on the new concrete.

A brother fueled the VAC Case tractor up at the fuel barrel and when he backed away the hose caught the cultivator. The tractor was pretty hot and the barrel came and landed on top of the tractor. Must not have been any sparks.

At a parade a good older friend thosed butter scotch candy from his CC Case by the handfuls. On piece dropped on to the hind tire and proced to drop it in front of the left hind wheel. As soon as it hit the ground a young boy got it and the tractor hind wheel ran over his hand. The boy just wiped his had off and went for more candy. When a fellow fireman told my tractor driving friend to be sure to get the candy away from the tractor he cussed and swore at him. He was so mad at our town that he refused to ever bring his tractor to our parade again. He has since died and I never told him about running over a boys hand.

As young boys my brothers were as stupid as me and while jacking around riding on a Ford 8N, standing on the clutch side in front of the fender my brother fell off. The hind rubber was the old chicken track tread and left tire imprints across the small of his back. We determined that a couple of small gopher mounds were in the right place as he quit crying in about five munites. So we turned the tractor around and started raking hay.

A friend had his brothers on the Ford 8N and they were driving down the gravel road while beating on each other. One boy fell off in front of the hind wheel and the boy driving hit the brakes as it rolled his brother in front of the hind wheel till the tractor stoped.

Once us boys were using a JD 60 with a loader and snow bucket picking apples from a tree. Two brother in the bucket and me on the tractor seat. I'm sure it had to be my brothers that started the argument, that lead to them throwing some rotten ones at me. I had little protection, I never liked loosing let alone from my younger brothers. So I won when I tripped the bucket.

My brother was walking behind a JD 290 planter as there was no safe place on the tractor. He got tired and decided to plop down between the fertilizer boxes. As the shaft slowley turned it wrapped his pants up so tight his legs turned blue. Dads old pocket knife was not as sharp as it could have been cutting the pants off the brother.

We had a Ford 8N with a loader, on the lift arms was a bracket restrickting the upward movment of the 3 point. This would then supply oil to the loader. My brother was sitting on the fender and got his toe between the lift and bracket. His toe is a little goofy yet after fifty years.

As a kid our old sheep buck was to lazy to bunt anyone so my brothers and I decided to train him. They always wasted so much hay we got on our knees and pushed him backward with our heads. After a few week ends of this a neighbor kid was taking his turn with his eyes closed and the old buck came at him and just popped his head. The neighbor kid just laid there for a few moments while us boys decided how to lie to our parents about how he died. The kid got up and stumbled a few times and he went on to play. A few days later he got my dad in the rear end, and dad gave the old buck a hard lesson with a 2 x 4.

When we were boys we went to the pond with a 22 rifel. We would catch frogs and take a small hollow weed and stick it up their rear end and inflate them. Then we would toss them in the pond and watch them try to dive under. It was then decided to shoot the frogs to scare them once they gave up. We had never heard or crossed our minds the 22 would skip a bullet into the cows drinking on the other side. We thought once when the cows went wild something was odd. That night milking one cow had blood dripping from her hind leg, nothing serious and dad never did find out. Any other time one of us could have been over there as well.

I guess it's warm enough to get outside and do something so I will stop thinking about how us kids tried to avoid old age. I origanaly started to post thinking of tractor dangers, just got carried away. Sorry, and add to this if you can.

Well I never use a pipe on mine and 2nd the left hand brake on my WC sp is broken so I have to reach over the seat to even use the brakes. Most of the time the blade works better then the brakes do. But I plan to fix that brake now that I have a WC parts tractor
Hobby farm

I was pulling a loaded chopper wagon with a JD 3020. The owners grandson was about two years younger than I, and was using a WD 45. The JD would go faster on the road than the WD, but of course he did not let me go ahead of him. I decided to pass him. Unfortunately for me, I could not tell when I was far enough ahead of him and I ended up pulling in to soon. My brother was riding on the left side of the WD and told me about it later, They almost rolled it in the ditch. Still scares me to think about it.
SDE

I did not see my rusty can on my exhaust pipe this morning. With choke a bit messed up. I have to stand by tractor side and reach around to key.
Well that motor started and that can went a shooting up into the air. lol Scared the crap out of me and almost hit me in head!
So I have now taken that can and painted it a nice shinning silver. So maybe I will see it and remove it first for I get a nice large bump in this bald head of mine. *S

when you guys use postdrivers you ought to think about putting a safety cable or chain on them in case the top link would brake or come unthreaded .my brother was driving some post for my sister right in her own front yard for a picket fence when the top link got accidently screwed out far enough it seperated fell backwards and at that moment my sister just happened to be walking behind it. sadly to say it was no near miss she didnt survive died right there in her own yard with 3 small kids from age 5 to 11 home at the time.

I WAS 12 AND PICKING CORN WITH A 730JD AND 227 PICKER IN HALF MILE ROWS OF DOWN CORN. REAL PAIN PLUGING UP THEN I DID THE NO NO STEPED OUT ON THE SPREDDER BAR WITH IT RUNNING. THEN WATCHED MY DAD SPRENT QUARTER MILE OVER TWO FENCES AND ONE CREEK. IJUST SHUT HER DOWN AND WAITED. WHEN HE ARRIVED HE COULD NOT SPEAK BUT PUT THE FEER IN ME. DAD HAS BEEN GONE NOW FOR FIVE YEARS NOW.I AM 52 WITH ALL OF MY WORKING PARTS. RENE'

The most near death I ever had was with a split rim 20 inch manure spreader tire. I was fixing it on the shop floor,had the ring side down,crouched down on top of it inflating it. The ring blew off,blew me right out the shop door. Had enough air time to start wondering if I was ever gonna hit the ground. My left ankle still pops when I twist it around.

During harvest, when I was a kid of 12 or 13, I'd take 300-400 bu. single axle gasser grain trucks to the yard and back them up to an auger to fill a bin. Out of three trucks, none had a park brake that would work. When you were by yourself, you had to back up the truck, hold the brake, kill the engine, leave it in gear so it wouldn't roll, get out and kick a board under the tire, get back in, take it out of gear and let the tire settle against the board, get the hot engine started again, then raise the hoist and now your in business. Whew!
When backing up under a full load, if you didn't ease the clutch just right and work the gas pedal just so, the engine would easily stall and not want to start again.
This was much easier if someone was there to "kick" the board under the tire for you.
Now the interesting part. Some lady from the city whom I didn't know, was visiting up at the house and had a kid my age along. They sent him out to "help" when I pulled into the yard. It never crossed my mind when I told him to stick that board under the tire when I back up, that he would be dumb enough to place that board under the tire with his hand instead of his toe. And wouldn't you know, I backed up about eight inches and the engine died just as that kid stuck the board under the tire with his fingers. You never heard such hollering and yelling in your life. Mind you it's 95-100 degrees during wheat harvest and this old truck is near overheating already and is not likely to start. After cranking for about 5 seconds (seemed like an eternity) and praying I don't flood the engine, she came to life and I promptly backed her up again. Had that truck not started, that kid would have been stuck there for 10 or 15 minutes until the engine cooled.
I took that kid back to the house and the women put ice on his fingers and told me he'd be alright. To this day I never heard if he kept his fingers or not and I've never asked. I didn't really want to know as I felt enough guilt for his stupidity because I "presumed" he would know not to put his fingers in there and I didn't warn him otherwise. Funny how at the ripe old age of 12 or 13, we farm kids were expected to use our heads and have a little common sense and be wise enough to stay out of trouble, yet my inexperience showed by my presuming every one had common sense.
Lets see now, A 10,000 Lb truck with maybe 20,000 Lbs of grain = 15 Tons all resting against four fingers holding a 2x4. Ouchiwahwah.

I was kneeling over a tire airing it up for my 34 chevy when I was about 16. I guess the tire was rotten, because it blew out right over the tender parts. You think getting hit with a ball hurts, that's nothing compaired to the pain I felt. stan

You might get more than a bump on the head standing next to the tractor and starting it, if you forget or knock it into gear, real bad habit, and I've done it to start the 850 ford here, slide the 5 spd lever up and down to make sure it's in neutral, stand out of the path of the rear tire, but it's the time you forget to check the trans and are not out of it's path when it will get ya.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back