OT towing question....air bags or helper springs

rlpintx

I posted this in the transport area and didn't get much of a response. Hoping some of you have experiance in this area and can help. Have 2004 dodge dakota w/towing package ..rated 500/4500. Towing 16 ft trailer with 3500 brakes..weight right at 1000lbs....usually have about 2000lbs on it. My truck saggs just a bit. It's loaded correctly tounge weight right at 500..so its not just tounge heavy. I would like to correct this without greatly effecting the unloaded ride of the truck. Which product would/have you used.... "air springs/bags" or helper springs?

If you're concerned with the ride - Use the air bags to level it out.

Overload springs never stop working and give a very harsh ride when empty.

CARGO COILS,Have a variable/ added loading as they are compressed. I do not know if they are made for your truck. I have put them on several cars with great sucess. Check auto supply stores or try online. Good luck and God Bless.

I installed Monroe "Load Levellers" (air-shocks) on the rear of my tow vehicle and it made all the difference. The beautiful part is you an add/subtract however much air you wish to put the vehicle in whatever condition/height you wish. They do not otherwise compromse the suspension either. (and sure made it better when towing differenct trailers of varying heights....instead of changing my hitch...all I had to do was add/subtract air to bring the vehicle up/down to level the trailer.

I installed Monroe "Load Levellers" (air-shocks) on the rear of my tow vehicle and it made all the difference. The beautiful part is you an add/subtract however much air you wish to put the vehicle in whatever condition/height you wish. They do not otherwise compromse the suspension either. (and sure made it better when towing differenct trailers of varying heights....instead of changing my hitch...all I had to do was add/subtract air to bring the vehicle up/down to level the trailer.[/quote]b:894c701027][i:894c701027]

Best way to do it!!!!! JMHO
Also,.....even if you lose air pressure in the system, the shocks will work, as normal, until you can get the air back to them!!!
Got them on my 1/2 ton Ford PU, and they work great.

Gary :) [/i:894c701027][/b:894c701027]

The real solution is a load equalizing hitch. A bit pricey, but the things do work great. I used one with my 7000lb trailer on an F250. It leveled things out perfectly and greatly improved handling. You might try a local camping dealer, they often have used ones.

Example at
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/trunnion-style-weight-distributing-hitch/2214

Kurt-NEPA

(quoted from post at 01:51:42 02/03/10) I posted this in the transport area and didn't get much of a response. Hoping some of you have experiance in this area and can help. Have 2004 dodge dakota w/towing package ..rated 500/4500. Towing 16 ft trailer with 3500 brakes..weight right at 1000lbs....usually have about 2000lbs on it. My truck saggs just a bit. It's loaded correctly tounge weight right at 500..so its not just tounge heavy. I would like to correct this without greatly effecting the unloaded ride of the truck. Which product would/have you used.... "air springs/bags" or helper springs?

Google super springs ,,, they work as advertised,,, customers are always satisfied..

WARNING all I know I read on the Internet,,, do it enuff and you can become a guru also,,, not responsible for damages,,, I read it and just pass it along,,, proceed with caution

(quoted from post at 20:56:43 02/03/10)
(quoted from post at 01:51:42 02/03/10) I posted this in the transport area and didn't get much of a response. Hoping some of you have experiance in this area and can help. Have 2004 dodge dakota w/towing package ..rated 500/4500. Towing 16 ft trailer with 3500 brakes..weight right at 1000lbs....usually have about 2000lbs on it. My truck saggs just a bit. It's loaded correctly tounge weight right at 500..so its not just tounge heavy. I would like to correct this without greatly effecting the unloaded ride of the truck. Which product would/have you used.... "air springs/bags" or helper springs?

Google super springs ,,, they work as advertised,,, customers are always satisfied..

WARNING all I know I read on the Internet,,, do it enuff and you can become a guru also,,, not responsible for damages,,, I read it and just pass it along,,, proceed with caution

Here is you a clickety, click, on what Hobo said...

http://www.supersprings.com/

I have used both air shocks and helper springs.Pep boy's sells springs that install on the shocks,simply clamp top and bottom,and you can put in a pre-load or neutral by putting them on jacked up 2-3" or just snug.I have a pair on my toyota truck and I just put about 1"of preload on them and no rough ride.---lha

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back