OT truck gun

kyplowboy

Well-known Member
I know guns get talked about on here some and I hope this is not to far ot for every one here. I do not know if this is a local thing or not but bout every one I know has a "truck gun". A beat around type fire arm that stays in the truck all the time. (unless they have to drive to IL!!) It gets moved around from truck to truck alot and some times gets to ride on a tractor. You see articals in magazines about the best gun for this and that but never see much about truck guns. Had a long conversation with friend of mine this week about good truck guns. Was wondering what you all look for in a truck gun, if you have one. Many around here keep thier deer gun in the truck. I found it too much trouble keeping the scope clean and not knocked around, my truck gun is a mini14 with open sights and a 10rd in it, find that the 30rd makes it too hard to get out from be hind the seat, and move around in the cab. (30rd stays in the door pocket). What do you have for a truck/tractor gun? What do you think makes/would make a good one?

Dave
 
In Michigan, long guns have to be cased or broken down for shotguns and the bolt removed from rifles. Hand guns cannot be accesible from the cab--cased in the back of a truck or locked in the trunk. I've passed through Il. on the way to Iowa hunting without any trouble even when I was stopped for passing a cop on I-80 at 3:00 a.m. I was doing around 65 plus in a 55 zone. Let me off with a warning.

Larry
 
15 years ago some elightened urbanite decided to ban 1/2 the firearms here. She also made it illegal to carry firearms in a window rack. She found it offensive and intimidating.
 
IL has alot stricter laws than KY does, anyone round here who goes to an auction or something up there makes sure the gun is out. Here you just can't have a handgun conceled with out a CC permit. A rifle in the back window, in the seat, or behind the seat is fine.

Thier duck season starts a little before ours so alot of people hunt that side of the river as soon as they can. In IL water you have to unload and case your shotgun before starting the boat motor to get a down duck. Least that is what the people I know who hunt there claim, I never read thier hunting bood myself.

Dave
 
A old Winchester 30-30 in the winter , summertime I haul around a old 22-mag. , I think it`s a Revilation or somthing like that . The mag. makes it so I dont have to sneak up so close on the ground piggys and still cheap to shoot .
 
Marlin lever action with saddle stock in .44 Mag.
The only thing more intimidating that racking a round in pump shot gun is levering one in with a good ol' fashion lever action. Open hammer serves as a great safety feature as well. Love this gun- daddy gave it to me when I was 15, and I'll give it to my youngest when he's 15 (I'll be 65 then, god willing).
 
after somebody broke into my truck and stole my rifle from the rear window,i started carring a pistol, .38 special+p with steel jacketed hollow points. the guns not expensive but its a knockoff of the model 10 s&w having a gun in your vehicle is leagle here as long as its not a commercial heavy truck, since i cant put the gun in the kw, i carry a large hunting knife and a old cops night stick in it, what is the law in ill? how about iowa?
 
Don't know about Iowa, but I am thinking in IL you have to have long guns unloaded and in a locked case. I know they are not as gun friendly as KY.
 
I used to hunt with a guy who hunted with a 45 lever. Nice shooting gun. Was the trick for thicket hunting. Always said I wanted one some day.
 
My brother keeps a 30-30 on the tractor with him cutting hay. Very handy for songdogs in the hay field.
 
Plowboy;

I think that might be a federal law about unloading before retreiving a duck or goose. You can't be under power with a loaded gun. Applies in all states.

Larry
 
I carry a sig saur p-230 in .380. i leave it loaded with federal hydra-shocks. Nice discreet carry gun with enough power to get the job done in a defensive situation.. but not be unweildly.

soundguy
 
SKS. Decent knock down power that can handle getting dirty and still function. Rides around in the cab getting horribly abused but with only $100 invested in it - who cares?
 
I used to carry an AR15, still do sometimes. Its my tractor and atv gun. Since I got my cc permit I normally just carry a little Intertec .32 unless I know Im going to be in the tractor cab all day.
 
It's rare that you see anyone with a gun rack around here today, every so often you'll see an empty one, or one with a rifle in it. I'm thinking whether it's visible in the window or not, should be unloaded, safety engaged, and the action open, probably required by law to do that anyway. The way people are today, it's just a big red beacon that says "steal me", just not a good idea anymore, when I was a kid it was more common, more farms and more of a rural environment. My father used to cart his Mossberg 151K around in the 66 F-100, when working around the place for when that woodchuck pops up or to nail a few pigeons with short rifle rounds in the barns, usually got those at night with a flashlight to light em up. Dairy farmer who still plants one field here, he and his family don't even own a firearm, nor do they hunt, at least I believe, but he'd always get the corn in before the season, his brother in law used to ride around in the truck and his kids would push the deer, he'd get out and shoot, was kind of a window shopper I'd say, they had a lot of land too, but would think nothing of driving on your place, happened here once, still laugh thinking about it, ole Teddy and 2/3 sons, made sure to give a whistle when one got close ! No one seemed to mind, nothing but farms then, today not so.

If I needed to carry one, it would probably be the Ruger ranch Mini 14 or something similar, shorter barreled, maybe like those new savage tacticals or similar, that .17 heavy barrel would easily do a woodchuck in, it's so darned accurate, you could easily place a headshot at 100-150 yards, I have proof of that right here on top of my monitor with penny and a quarter punched through by the .17 at 100+yds, neat little round, darned loud for it's size too.

I'd want some kind of soft easily removed sleeve, keep the rifle lightly oiled so it does not rust, sleeve will keep the dust off, use flip up scope caps, they are really are handy, and have it tucked behind the flip down bench seats like the older trucks had, might just have to buy an older truck to go with the rifle ! You can keep it from getting banged up, if I needed to keep my mini 14 ranch in a vehicle, I'd still want it kept clean and in good order, what good is a firearm that is dirty, can malfunction and not sighted in ? Onme should always keep a firearm clean and in order even in a farm vehicle, there are all kinds of sleeves and inexpensive covers that slip right off with no fuss.

I am a big fan american made ones, don't like the imports SKS, AK's and all those, do like the mini 14/ranch because the action is the rotating bolt, gas operated, would really have to be dirty, gummed up for it to malfunction. Never been able to get tight groups with it, kind of a dust collector, but when someone else want's to come over and shoot .223 is when I'll take it out, still looks new. Short magazine is better in the vehicle I suppose, I like the 5 round but it's hard to get out of the action, nothing to grab, so the 10 or 15 would be best. I have a 40 rd in a drawer somewhere, to me it is a novelty item, pre-ban, stainless of good quality MFR no longer made, it looks ridiculous, unless you like to load up 2 boxes, mow trees down or fear that armageddon is near ! There was a family clan that used to buy cases of ammo and mow down trees at their preserve near the local landfill, I remember going to a place near there, plinking on some old toilets and one of the troopers came by, we knew him, but you always worry what they think when they see you armed, we put the rifles down and just about came out with our hands up, he kind of laughed, not necessary, but still appreciated it, was just checking in, different times then, we still worried about a false reaction, and we did not know who it was, we did knw most of em.

2nd time I ran into him in the woods here at our place, was digging up and restoring our old survery monuments on the property lines, went in off another road, much easier, later on we heard the patrol car knocking over weeds and brush like the air breather was flipped upside down, vvvvvmmmmmmm........! on an old unsused overgrown road, here I am with a shovel and a helper, just got done, packing up ready to leave, apparently some neighbor called after we went in the old road, now there is a NYSP patrol car directly behind me in the woods, same guy, he was wondering what was going on, had to explain though, you could tell he was suspicious and he was stationed right next to us. Still well within your rights, I'd not have wanted a rifle visible in a gun rack in that situation then, just me, more trouble than it was worth, and today it's even worse given the same situations again, with what has happened recently in NY, 2 good honorable men have been lost in 1 yr., in very bad situations involving firearms/bad guys, just no need to draw attention by displaying firearms in your rear window, out of respect, not to draw attention for a thief and no real need to carry one.

Probably more fun to live in a more rural area anyway, no worry about what you have in your work truck, around here, just drawing attention.
 
Here in MO., If I understand the changes made when CC was approved, is you can have a loaded UNconsealed piston on you hip or on the truck dash with no problem. If you hide it you need a CC permit. I think you still need a permit from the Sheriff to buy the pistol. Long gun I do not think have a problem. The laws were also loosened on when you can shoot to defend yourself or your property. I DO NOT know the details real close as I do not carry any weapons in the truck.

Kent
 
My ranch truck has a SKS and 17 HMR in the overhead.My trailer puller has mini 14 and a custom 10-22. This time of year due to coyotes we always have a long gun in reach. I own several pistols,but seldom carry. My wife does.The average truck in our area has two long guns and a handgun.
 
"SKS. Yugo, not Chinese"


The Yugo does not have the chrome barrel sleeve that the Chinese SKS has. Unless you get an unissued unit more likely than not the bore will be damaged to some degree from corrosive ammo.
 
Nope. With the new law anyone 21 years of age and can legallly possess a firearm can have a concealed weapon in their car/truck. You can only open carry, gun viewable on belt or other holster, in certain areas. Places like St. Louis, North Kansas City etc have passed laws against that. The new CCW law did not address this other than to state that local authorities could not pass legislation about concealed weapons.
I do have a CCW license and in my rural area I do open carry a lot both on the farm and in town. I also have a truck gun, a .357 Taurus Stainless Steel 2 inch snub nose. I occasionally put my AK-47 with six power scope in if I am going to be out on the property.
 
Kim B*tch Campbell was the media darling and almost made Prime Minister.
Fortunately she got a huge ego going and started to yap off in front of the media. The rest of the general public found out what kind of a monster the gun owners had already found out she was.
She's a ridiculed has been of Canadian politics. Too bad though the damage she started was continued by the Liberals under Jean Cretin.
Can't even own a .32 or handgun under 4" barrel in Canada except under grandfather provisions.
 
I saw a neat storage solution for a long gun in a pickup. This guy had a long pocket sewn into the front edge of his bench seat, with velcro at the top. The rifle was just about invisible from the outside of the truck, yet it was possible to get it out quickly because of the velcro closure.

When I was in high school in the 60's, some of the guys had rifles or shotguns on racks in their back windows most of the time. They were parked in the school parking lot and nothing was ever said about them being there, and to my knowledge, none were ever stolen. If a kid brought his gun to school displayed like that today, he would probably be expelled and maybe even charged with a FELONY. But those were different, and in many respects better times.

I don't have any suggestions as to a particular gun to carry. But I would suggest not carrying one that either really matters to you or is real nice. The chance of it getting stolen is very real and the chance of it getting dirty and banged around is almost certain. Good luck!
 
I had an H&R single shot shotgun I used to carry broke open on the dash.Worked real good for what I was using it for and was reliable and cheap.
 
Things were like that when I was in school too, that was mid 90's!!!!!!!

Things change fast.

A good truck gun needs to be rugged, as it is going to get banged around, that is why I never liked keeping a deer rifle in the truck and like the mini 14.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top