OT: Wifes never understand.

Kelly C

Well-known Member
Wifes been naggin me for 3 years on this bath room thing.
This winter I finnally relented and started working on it.
Toilet- no problem Sink- No problem.

I knew better when it came to the tub. These things never go as planned.
Wife just thinks that you just pull the old out and the new one just slips right in. No muss no fuss.

HA!!!!
It startes with the 350 pound cast iron tub that needs to come out.

Then the lenth of the new tub is always one 8th inch longer than the hole provided.

Then the new tub is one 8th inch wider so it wont fit in the old hole. Cut the floor wider.

And of course the floor is not level any more and not square.

Round about 1030 pm wife sticks head in. Whats taking so long? .... ARGGGGGGGG!

There was a reason I said I didnt just want to relace fixtures. I wanted to wait untill we could just afford to gut and redo the whole thing.

oh well the new tub is in and level and square.
I did enjoy telling her she had to take a bath in the other bath room. NO SHOWER FOR YOU!

<a href="http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/?action=view&current=102_0799.jpg" target="_blank">
102_0799.jpg" border="0" alt="Tub From hell
</a>
 
I know the feeling well. Being newely married I'm in the middle of remodeling/repairing my house before we move into it. We've talked about it numerous times but I still don't think she really understands why we can't put a huge, one piece tub and surround combination (she doesn't like the seams in the others) in the existing bathroom without taking a wall out. She has one in her house which, to me, was obviously set in place and built around. Thing is her bathroom is smaller than the one in my (her new) house so it just doesn't make sense to her why the bigger bathroom can't have the same tub in it. Just can't seem to make her understand even the old one would be a pain to get out through the existing door and the new one she want's simply won't fit without taking out a wall. Looks like I'm going to be building and tiling a custom tub shower combination before too long, not to mention tiling the kitchen cabinets and back splash as well as an area in front of the fireplace...on top of repairing wood rot around both the front and back doors and replacing both doors, putting down a new floor, taking paneling down and refinishing the sheetrock behind it, redoing the ceilings, etc etc etc.... Everything we're doing really needs to be done since the house was never really refinished after a downstairs flood from a burst pipe upstairs nearly 13 years ago but she's sticking with me through the whole construction ordeal. I love her and she want's a nice house as much as I do so I'm doing all I can to make it happen for her. Of course it really helps when she understands I need the tools to do the jobs she want's done. She got me a nice 10" tile saw for my birthday and then also a new Bosch 7 1/4" skill saw I wanted to replace the old junker I picked up out of the scrap yard years ago, not to mention a new wet/dry vac to clean up the resulting construction messes. I've used all my new tools already and am loving them, and her, more every day.
 
Glad its not just my wife! She has been nagging me for 6 months to pull up the mud room floor and put down ceramic tile she picked out. Man what a job. My knees were killing me, even with knee pads on, and then all the washing of the tile grout. I have never scrubbed the same thing so many times. lol Glad Im done until next winter :( j
 
Been there,done that. About a dozen years ago. Longer tub,couldn't put access to the plumbing in the bathroom. Well,a few years ago,the faucet got to leaking. Had to move the dryer in the laundry room,cut a hole in the drywall to get to it. Solve one problem,you create another.
 
Mine is trying to be patient as Im redoing the closet, bathroom, bedroom, kitchen. . .etc. 90% done with the bathroom and closet and just put drywall up in the bedroom. She wants to put paint on the walls and decorate and wonders why the electrical, plumbing, etc takes so long. Wants to order kitchen cabinets and I dont even have the kitchen framed in yet to get the proper measurements. Have to teach her the tractor goes before the plow (or horse before the cart. . .you get the idea).
 
When they start complaining you hand them a tool and tell them to get busy. Then just sit back and watch.
 
My wife wants an island in the kitchen.

Fine. There's room and I have no problem with it.

EXCEPT--then the counter tops wouldn't match, so we'd wind up putting all new counter tops in. While we're doing that, she'd want a new sink. Then she'll decide she's never really liked the dishwasher that came with the house. Oh, and the opening in the cabinets isn't quite large enough for the size refrigerator she wants. So, then we'll replace the cabinets to allow room for the size refrigerator she wants. Then, after the opening is there, that refrigerator looks puny sitting in that large opening.

And this freakin' house is only eight years old!
 
How to get the old cast iron one out> hired a crew a few years ago. They took sledge hammers and busted it up & scooped it out. Only, they didn't cut the copper lines to it. Of course all the soldered joints were now jolted loose and leaking. What a mess.
 
I feel your pain ! I blame it on all the "Home remodel "shows , Week warrior , trading places Holmes on Holmes etc. They show up hour long show , complete remodel /rebuilt whatever. Wifes sees that ,"Wow honey ,they did all that so fast " "What is taking you so long ?" lolThey seem to forget there was a full crew working on that , and took week ,or weeks to film show for that lil hour episode. Also doing it nights weekends after work really makes it drag out ..Oh well ,,,grabbing my hammer and drywall supplies ! lol
 
Did my bathroom in the house in Calif. took a week lots of money and some help to remove the old cast iron tub.
Never again if she wants it done to this one she can call someone to do it so she called her friend, plumber who sent his best guy over for rebuilding bathroom didn't cost as much as I expected and they did it in one day.
Whole new floor and stool that won't flush, I hate the new toilets, it takes more water to unplug them than it saves.
Walt
 
You ever notice on TV. Even on the real old houses.
Theirs are always level and square. Oh they might put the level up there and comment.
Alot of these older houses have settled so check for level and square.
This ones fine though so we will just set it in here.

As a matter of fact. I cant recale a job that I have done where after taking out the old. it was level and square.
Heck thats 90 percent of the work. Putting it in is the easy part.
 
You ever notice on TV. Even on the real old houses.
Theirs are always level and square. Oh they might put the level up there and comment.
Alot of these older houses have settled so check for level and square.
This ones fine though so we will just set it in here.

As a matter of fact. I cant recale a job that I have done where after taking out the old. it was level and square.
Heck thats 90 percent of the work. Putting it in is the easy part.
 
Hope that with your house being only 8 years old the walls and floors were still level and square.

When I did our Kitchen sink.....Oh yea then the cubbord and counter top :-)That one started with replacing the garbage disposal.
I had to learn the art of scribbing a counter top to fit along the wall. When I first put it up there. It was touching at the ends with a half inch gap in the middle.
 
Chances are that you can get that tub refinished right where it sits. Years ago, I did. Didn't cost as much as a new tub, fit the house by year, no alterations. Finish came out excellent, far better than original. Call around. A hint? Now that you've got that wall open, put in a pipe that's a foot or half-foot taller than the original for the shower. That stuff about bending over to take a shower is garbage. I'm 6'2" and look up at my shower head and get sprayed in my face like non-midgets are supposed to. If you're going to have to cut a hole in the new shower surround, may as well put the dang showerhead where it belongs, above your head, not in your nose.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top