Over/under leak

rrlund

White 2-105. If the O/U looses oil and there are no external leaks, I assume the rear seal is leaking in to the trunion then in to the transmission? Is it possible to get so much oil in the trans and rear end that it'd go the other way?

I was cutting hay two weeks ago with it and when I was turning right going up hill, it hesitated in underdrive then caught itself. I didn't even monkey around, I went home, shut it off, checked the oil in the O/U and it was low. I had to add 3 quarts. Next day it was down another quart and that got to be the running theme every day until I got all done cutting and baling.

I started filling silo Friday and was hauling wagons with it. It was right on the add line and I was just hauling a short distance to unload, so I figured I'd wait a day to add since I have to take the side of the hood off to do it. Mid afternoon I tried to start up in 6th underdrive with a full load and when I got it moving, something slipped and shuddered and scared me, so when I got in the yard, I put a quart in it. When I shut it off, it was way over full on the dipstick. Yesterday morning it was still showing way over full. This morning,same thing. It's over full by at least the same distance as it is between add and full on the dipstick. I had added probably two gallons over the two weeks that I was having to add. Now it's making oil instead of loosing it. It doesn't have the smell of gear lube, isn't discolored or thicker than normal. Just looks and smells like good clean hy tran oil.

I'd bet the transmission level is up substantially. I'd check the level on that and remove any doubts. A dealer years ago used to keep rebuilt O/U on hand. Just one of those things that go with the territory.

The check plug will tell me if the level is high enough, but not if it's over full. I'd have to let it drain down until it stops coming out if it does have too much in it.

I think I'll run it until silo filling is done and see if it goes down or stays the same before I go too far with anything drastic.

there is an o-ring between the ends of the o/u input shaft and output shaft. there should still be oil leaking from the trunion if it's going into the rearend. might not be dripping, but it should be wet around that area. what about the oil cooler and lines? have you looked closely underneath with the tractor running?

There's 2 big o rings in the casting around the trunion that should keep it from leaking out around there isn't there? I know that when I've had the engine out a couple of times on that and the 2-135, I've greased the heck out of those o rings to keep from damaging them when it slides back together.

I did see some clean oil dripping just a little bit Friday from the right side of the frame and I felt some relief thinking it was a cooler line. I didn't spend a whole lot of time, but I slid under there with a rag with the engine running and wiped a few lines off, but it looked to me like it was the steering line to the right side of the steering cylinder.

I don't know on that one though if the steering line runs down the right side. I know on the 00 and 50 series Olivers, those lines are on the left. I guess while it too wet from 2 inches of rain to chop, I should get a rag and a light and get up under there and start wiping things down. I was thinking I could just open the grill and see the hoses from the steel lines to the cooler, but that's on the 135. On the 105, the air cleaner is in the way and there's a piece of sheet metal behind that, obstructing the view.

Devil of it is, I had the O/U out of it a couple of years ago because the seal was leaking on the input shaft. I dropped that off at the former dealer and had Bruce put that new seal in. I know he changed one bearing while he was in there and I went and got a gasket for him from the other AGCO dealer down the road. I'm hoping beyond all hope that he replaced the rear seal too and that's not where the leak is. I really don't want to pull that thing out of there again.

oh yeah, you're right, there is an o-ring between the sleeve and the rear o/u housing. that would hold the fluid from a rear seal leak, unlike with Oliver's chain coupler. the seal inside between the input and output shafts can still be the cause of the leak, but i think the rear seal is more likely to leak at the rate you have described.

I found the problem. Thank God for that! It's a cooler line. When I was in a hurry trying to get hay up, I didn't stand there watching long enough, then I was just adding every morning without looking for a leak. When it sat there Friday while I was hooking on to a wagon, it dripped just enough to be noticeable. There's so little room up in there it's hard to see anything in the first place, let alone see anything with your hand and a rag in the way. I could see that a cooler line and a steering line were right tight together. I got a big screwdriver between them and tried prying them apart and the cooler line started gushing. I got it out. It was a royal pain, but I kept telling myself it was better than pulling the engine. When I pried on it, it spread a crack the whole length of the groove that was worn in it.

Lunch is over. I'll head back out and see if I can braze it and get it back in. I'd better look that steering line over real good. Better split a piece of hose and make something to go between them.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back