Paint gun pressure?

scotty11

Guys,
I am about to start painting my 661. I have never used an air powered siphon type gun before but i have a Binks #7 gun that I am going to use. What pressure should I paint at? It has a regulator with a pressure gauge on the gun. So i guess this is where I adjust pressure?

Thanks for help

Scotty;

Here's a link with info on your Binks. It says to set pressure at 50 psi for laquer and 60 psi for enamel. Hope this helps.
Binks

In addition to what Glen said , everything is just a guide. The paint will tell you which way to go after you spray a little. If it is not atomizing and laying out shiny the you may want to increase the pressure a little. Good rule of thumb is spray at the lowest pressure it takes to lay on smooth.Paint going into the air because of too high pressure just costs you money and makes the neighbors mad. ANOTHER tip! A Binks #7 is one of the best high production siphon guns ever made but it was designed to be "tuned" to anything from an overall auto paint job (high volume) to spot painting a fender or blending a fender-to-door for color match. Because of this range of tunability , DON'T spray small parts or areas with the fluid knob at full open (trigger all the way back)!! If you turn this knob (the one straight back behind the trigger) so the trigger only comes back 1/2-3/4 of the way you will be surprised at how much better the paint is atomized and how much better control you will have over the amount being applied (less runs/better gloss). Most people run this adjuster wide open all the time. Not correct , especially for a beginner!!! This knob is adjustable for a reason! Use it to tune to your abilities and the intended use. A lot of people will cuss these guns after spending a ton of money on them and it is mainly because they never learned how to tune them and just run them WFO and wonder why they can't get a good paint job out of them. I have the comparable model DeVillbiss (3 in all) and the only time I run wide open is when doing a complete on a car or truck. If painters would learn to do this there would never have been the "rush" to change over to HVLP gravity feeds. If you tune your volume /pressure the way you should not only will you get a better job but you will be pretty close to those guns in transfer effiency. People waste a lot of paint with mal-adjusted guns. Happy painting , Randy.

Thanks Randy,
I was thinking I should adjust that knob to stop the trigger at about half travel or something. But was unshure if it would make any difference.
Thanks again for help, Scotty

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back