Painting rear rims on an Oliver

RBTXS

I'm trying to decide what the best method for painting rims that are off my 1955 Oliver but have the 18.4x38 tires mounted on them. I have some 2-sided tape that I think will hold masking paper. I have checked with the local NAPA paint man and he says the clover white would cost about 70to 75 dollars. How about the AGCO rattle cans? How many would it take for 2 coats on each wheel (outsides only because the tires cover the insides)? By the way, masking paper is just newspaper. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just painted the rims and centers on my 1550, 15.5x38. Clover White from Agco is about #39/quart. I sprayed it on with good results and I'm not that great of a painter. Spray cans of Clover White from Agco are about $10/can. I've had good results with a good brush and paint them, you get a thicker coat of paint. If the tires are still on the rim, rub Vasalene on the tires next to the rim and them you don't have to worry about paint on the tires. Chris

Pictures
cvphoto90359.jpg

cvphoto90360.jpg

cvphoto90361.jpg

cvphoto90362.jpg

cvphoto90363.jpg

I used about 3 quarts of paint

4 cans for 2 coats on each rim. never paint the inside, as the tube will stick and the tire guy will buggare the tube trying to pull it out. i only give the inside a light priming after removing the rust.

Pretty sure u need 4 cans per rim if your doing 2 coats. 2 cans will cover one coat on 1 rim. Better to get more than not enough.

When I painted the 18.4-34 rims on my 1850, I did one round of 2 inch masking tape (single side sticky) up close to the edge of the rim. Tire has to be clean otherwise the tape won't want to stick well. After that, I went around and taped newspaper to the first line of tape. On a smaller tire you can go up and over the tire tread and join the tape/paper to the other line of tape on the backside. On a big tractor tire I just taped the newspaper to the tire.

For Clover white, I took one of the nameboards from the tractor out to the local Menards (midwest version of Home Depot etc.) and had them match the color on the backside of the board in Rustoleum Professional. Dead on match in my opinion and now I have the paint recipe for them to keep making it for me, which they have. Unfortunately I can't remember how much I used for the rims, hubs, etc.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back