Painting with rust pits

GC Mayes

New User
I'm working on painting the fenders on my 55 CA and after sandblasting I have deep pits from the removed rust. Primer is not enough to fill in. Any suggestion beyond a lot of coats and a lot of sanding?
 
I use spot putty. If the pits are less than 3/32 deep this will work great. Deeper you can use the dreaded Bondo but I use lead. I was taught that along time ago from grandpa. Plus a in line sander will help.
 
the bondo will work good. use a plastic squeege and fill the holes with very little over the sheet metal. after it dries, run sandpaper over the area so all the bondo is basically gone, except for filling the holes.--- paint does the rest.
 
Just to tag on - filler primer is a heavy body primer that fills like regular only a lot quicker. It sands just like regular primer.
 
Check out Walmarts supply of body and painting supplies. The yellow bondo mixes well and goes on evenly.I've found the grey bondo brand to be a little unfriendly as far as pot time goes. Use an in line sander to avoid stripping the pits empty. Seems a circle sander will be a little aggressive and will remove small fillings if not careful. Wear your Respirator.
 
If you don"t mind using auto paint, PPG Kondar DZ3 is a high build acrylic primer that sands fast. You could probably spray it a 1/16 think in a few coats. They recommend it to be sprayed over treated steel (corrosion inhibitor primer, epoxy, old paint, etc)but should be fine on well prepped steel.

Omni 2k primer is a urethane primer that can still be sanded but uses a hardener instead of thinner. Would protect the metal better but is a little harder to sand.

USC makes decent cheap filler like Kromalite, much better than Bondo and its only $15 a gallon.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top