I plan on repairing my tractor all the original paint is there do I have to do anything before I paint. The paint is just faded and I want to redo it.

This is a loaded question. If the paint is original, not too weathered or rusty in spots, then you could possibly just clean it and buff it. If you need to go further with a repaint, then you have to decide if the original paint is good enough as the base or needs to be stripped and then start over with metal etching, high quality epoxy primer, sealer and topcoat. Maybe post a picture and some of us may have a more detailed opinion.

This is a loaded question. If the paint is original, not too weathered or rusty in spots, then you could possibly just clean it and buff it. If you need to go further with a repaint, then you have to decide if the original paint is good enough as the base or needs to be stripped and then start over with metal etching, high quality epoxy primer, sealer and topcoat. Maybe post a picture and some of us may have a more detailed opinion.

Attachments

• PXL_20240505_165651517.jpg
    PXL_20240505_165651517.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20240505_165633255.jpg
    PXL_20240505_165633255.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
Yers, as farming guy posted this is indeed a loaded question. for me to spend time on an answer you need to spend some time on your question.

From what I see, to make it look nice, you're going to have to paint it anew. Everything will need to be cleaned and sanded or sandblasted (carefully!) such that you can treat the bare-metal areas, feather in the old paint smooth (sanding), apply an etching primer, - and depending on that finish, apply an epoxy filling primer and sand again to make it smooth and move forward with a sealer and finish coat. Do your research with the paint system (manufacturer) of the paint you wish to use and follow their instructions to a "T".

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back