1970 MF 135 UK original paint colours

Snakes28

New User
I am soon getting my 135 painted and I am wondering what the proper paint colours are for each part. More concerned about which grey, but wondering if the MF Red is better or Super Red?

Not sure if paint brand matters, I’m in Eastern Canada.

Here are some pics, the red isn’t the original paint but the rest is, I believe.

Brand of paint doesn't matter much. What matters is the type of paint. You can pay anywhere from $70.00 to $700.00/gallon with reducer, clear coat, hardener, etc. By far the most important consideration is this: Do not use expensive paint over a five hour prep job, and don't use cheap paint over a 100 hour prep job. I am cheap so I use mid-grade paint. Specifically it is 2K Acrylic Urethane. This was the hot thing in 1970. It goes for around $150/gal. with its other components. You want to stay away from alkyd enamel which is what is on it now. You can get a very nice looking job with it, but the problem is durability. I suppose if you aren't putting much effort into it you won't care if it fades out and starts to beak down in two years. YOU CAN'T GET GOOD PAINT AT A TRACTOR DEALER!!!!! You need go to an automotive paint jobber.

Here is one that I painted ten years ago: The second is one that the local FFA "restored" for my friend ten years before this pic was taken. You can see that under the decals the paint held up OK.

Attachments

• IMG_0068(1).jpeg
    IMG_0068(1).jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0275.jpeg
    IMG_0275.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 20
Brand of paint doesn't matter much. What matters is the type of paint. You can pay anywhere from $70.00 to $700.00/gallon with reducer, clear coat, hardener, etc. By far the most important consideration is this: Do not use expensive paint over a five hour prep job, and don't use cheap paint over a 100 hour prep job. I am cheap so I use mid-grade paint. Specifically it is 2K Acrylic Urethane. This was the hot thing in 1970. It goes for around $150/gal. with its other components. You want to stay away from alkyd enamel which is what is on it now. You can get a very nice looking job with it, but the problem is durability. I suppose if you aren't putting much effort into it you won't care if it fades out and starts to beak down in two years. YOU CAN'T GET GOOD PAINT AT A TRACTOR DEALER!!!!! You need go to an automotive paint jobber.

Here is one that I painted ten years ago: The second is one that the local FFA "restored" for my friend ten years before this pic was taken. You can see that under the decals the paint held up OK.
Wow you did a beautiful job! Thank you for the information. I’m getting it painted by a professional but I’ll ask him some questions but he’s known around these parts as a perfectionist so that is good at least :).

Also did you put a clear coat on yours? I notice a lot don’t and wasn’t sure why they wouldn’t.

I am soon getting my 135 painted and I am wondering what the proper paint colours are for each part. More concerned about which grey, but wondering if the MF Red is better or Super Red?

Not sure if paint brand matters, I’m in Eastern Canada.

Here are some pics, the red isn’t the original paint but the rest is, I believe.

I used Massey-Ferguson Red @ TSC and was very satisfied, I used a activator & reducer & it held a high gloss finish.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back