Passing to Another Generation

Bonnan

Well it is time to pass my Dad's 9N which he bought used in 1948 on to my son and grandson. I took possession in 1977 after Dad died, sold it to a co-worker in 1981 and then bought it back at an estate auction in 2001 after the co-worker died.
My question is this: I've pretty much kept it original, 6v, points/condenser etc. but used it infrequently.
However the grandson wants to improve reliability and use it more often.
What upgrades/conversion would you suggest or prioritize? Opinions much appreciated.
Jim B

Good overall maintenance should keep it running. Only advice I have is switch to 12v when an opportunity presents itself, like generator failure or needing a new battery. 12v volts gives chance for many add on options that 6 volts does not. Pumps, LED lights etc.

Rear weights or ballast in rear tires helps versatility.

The Ns were pretty reliable as they were sold, if maintained.

The original parts were in many cases better made than aftermarket. I don't know yours current condition but refreshing the ignition components (check the dist bushings and advance mechanism)and rebuilding the carb will help keep it running for a long time more. When I did my carb I brought it to a cycle shop I used to work at, they had the dunk bucket cleaner and the parts came out nearly spotless.

Keep clean fluids in it, grease it and pay attention to the various filters.

My 9N is still the 6V system. One thing I wish were better are the headlamps and work light. But I've resisted doing a 12V conversion. The old 6V coil finally gave out and I put a new Echlin one in from NAPA. The ones at TSC were junk at 1/2 the price. If you have a good electrical shop nearby consider having the generator reconditioned if the brushes are getting worn. If it is the single wire generator consider replacing the cutout with a diode. JMOR had some good info on that recently.

Make sure your battery + cables and wiring are in good condition, some of the wires might be 80 years old.

If you use the 3-point with implements much the Zane thing will help position the implements better.

The brakes are another wear item that might need attention. It's a good time to replace the axle seals and the lower link pins together. While the wheels are off how are the tires?

Put together a good selection of tools in the toolbox. A search here should give you an idea of what others find handy to have in the field.

Not many upgrades in my post here, just giving the N some love. I'm sure some of the sages here will have more ideas,

This post was edited by Mad Farmer on 07/23/2022 at 08:09 pm.

IMHO I would keep grandpas tractor as original as possible. But then Im one of those purist that thinks a fully restored 6 volt tractor with an alternator is not really restored. Rather it is revised. Besides, it has worked for near 80 years the way it was built. If I had a real need for an all day everyday tractor, I would beat up a tractor with less of a sentimental attachment. I still use old tractors with sentimental attachment but not as hard as the newer ones. And I keep the sentimental ones as original as possible for the next generation to enjoy.
ps I have several 1940s-1950s vintage tractors that always start if I remember to turn the gas on and the battery is charged.

An N tractor,if kept in good shape and tune will perform well for the work for which it was designed. The 6v+g system will work well and changing to 12v-g will not make it run better. My '41 9n starts in a few seconds,every time and will mow,scrape dirt,run a pond scoop and other jobs well. A bit of maintenance a couple of times per year keeps it going strong.

(quoted from post at 19:16:52 07/23/22) Opinions much appreciated.
Jim B

I like your title, "Passing to Another Generation"!
My opinion?
Don't deny future owners the joy of owning your tractor that works perfectly as designed, way, way back by making the 12 volt mistake.
And if an EMP is deployed some day, your old tractor will start right up as usual while the others are fried!

While I agree with the previous posters about keeping it original, I will play devil's advocate. My 1940 9N was converted to twelve volt negative ground, with a one wire alternator and electronic ignition before I acquired it. I grew up with points, and I'll bet most of us on this board did as well. Is your grandson going to learn how to maintain an outdated ignition system? I did a quick inventory, none of my current battery chargers or tenders will handle six volt batteries. My load tester doesn't do six volts either. My F-100 pickup still sports points, but as I said, I am comfortable troubleshooting and repairing points and condenser systems. Younger folks may not have the time of inclination to do this, and I would completely understand if they can't.

Jerry

I would try to convince my grandson to run it and use it for at least a year before modernizing anything.
He may decide it works just fine, like it was built to and has for all these years.

I have heard of too many petronix failures.
I remember running her machine down the road one time when it just died and fizzled off to the side of the road. Too far to go back to my departure point and too far from my destination.
Spark check fast enough and nothing there, I filed the points, fast gap and back on the road in about 10 minutes at the most.
Now updating to electronic ignition would mean more tools and time lost fixing that mystery box.

Update? I changed over to the alt and 12V batt and that was already too much.

Reminds me of the grandad that took his '36 Chev coupe int the shop, all original, to get it running so his grandson could learn to work on cars.

Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.

40 years ago I dated a Vietnamese gal for about 6 years.
One time I bought her a beautiful and very expensive silk blouse for her birthday.
For a few months I waited for her to wear it but she never did. So one day I asked her about it.
She told me she knew a young, poor Vietnamese refugee woman who was getting married and didn't have any nice clothes so she gave the blouse to her to get married in.
I was kind of sad and angry about it and told her so.
She asked if I had given it to her freely?
I admitted I had.
She said she had gotten more joy from giving it to a poor girl then she would ever have gotten from wearing it.
I couldn't argue with that and in one day it changed my whole perspective on gifts and giving.
If you give your tractor to them give it with no strings attached. Don't dictate what color they should paint it, what volts they should make it or even that they must keep it. Give it freely and let it go.
If they do domething you don't like just remind yourself it is theirs now - to do with as they please.
You'll be a lot happier that way.

(quoted from post at 13:08:04 07/24/22) ..... If you give your tractor to them give it with no strings attached. Don't dictate what color they should paint it, what volts they should make it or even that they must keep it. Give it freely and let it go.
If they do domething you don't like just remind yourself it is theirs now - to do with as they please.
Very Zen like, dog.
Just like raising kids. I got three adult kids whom I love very much. They break my heart regularly, still love them more than anything!

I'm overwhelmed with all the replies. Many thanks guys! The sincere support and fellowship from everyone shows up again and again, true old time family/community spirit,just can't say enough.
This thread will be printed and inserted in the very front of the notebook that contains tractor manual and maintenance notes of the tractor.

Thanks, you mentioned some items that I hadn't put on my list. I did have the generator rebuilt and its working fine.

Cab with AC,gps,quadraphonic surround sound, fuel injection,computerized emission control, power steering.just kidding. I am in the process of restoring(not museum quality) our 49 that my dad got in 1966, it sat unused for seventeen years after he passed. I am keeping it 6 volt as we never had any really bad problems with it and I want to keep it original including the steering wheel that is missing half the rubber coating. I do want to add a front bumper and ORC and 1 3/8 PTO shaft. I bought a 51 a few months back as a second project. I have toyed with the idea of going 6volt electronic on the 49 and may at some point. The 49 will be mainly a show/parade tractor, the 51 will keep its work clothes. Cant have too many Ns just as you cant have too many Cubs or Ponys. May they get Tractor Fever!

Yes it certainly has merit.

Mine was foolishly based upon not learning the basics of diagnostics.
This in turn making diagnosis of future, more advanced problems, possibly increasingly difficult.

Example being a car dealer ship with a new fangled jalopy they had siting too long and the battery went dead.
They jumped it backwards, sparks flew and it wouldn't start. They figured it Blew a Module.
They even replaced one of them if memory serves.
Vehicle only had a few of them to go along with electronic ignition.

I charged the battery and tried to start it. It spun very nicely.
It didn't take too long and I figured the plugs were badly fouled.
Pulled out the dripping disasters, cleaned them up and it started just fine without any 'Modules.

All the rest of the people involved were looking for the mysterious 'module' that would keep it from starting.

I went to basics.
Basics are too simple for modern complex folks needing modules.

But a back up module and maybe even a back up dist you can stab in the field.
Points are too heavy and simple.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back