Lost my big 'ole' buddy

Gary Mitchell

A dozen years ago my brother was helping a friend remodel a house that was on a 80 he'd bought. The people that moved out abandoned a
Pyrenees female which naturally whelped after a couple of days. The friend fed her a little along but a couple of the pups got road
killed and time was probably running out for the bunch of them. He told me that the pups appeared to sired by a lab and were all white.
Our big dog had died a few months before so he asked if we might be interested in one of the pups. We ended up hauling Amos home to
rural Osceola with us. He was a dandy from the start. Cathy put him up at nights in a crate on the back porch and covered the crate
door with a throw-rug she left on top. It wasn't long before Amos would turn in on his own, pulling on the edge of the rug until it
fell down over the door hole, essentially turning out the lights.

It didn't take him long to reach #120 and he did love his chow but for some reason he preferred I sit and watch him eat. I have no idea
why but usually he had to bark at his food a bit before he ate. He also loved to wade in the pond. Back when I could still ride a
tractor to mow pasture he would follow me around the pasture endlessly, detouring for the occasional bird or bunny only to be back
before long. He developed hip dysplasia over the years and had lately had a lot of trouble getting up. Also, we had been treating him
for heart worms almost from the beginning. Last week came the day we'd been dreading for some time. He couldn't get up anymore. He'd
been down for more that a day, wouldn't take chow, even balls of cheese which he loved. Cathy went to work and I told her I'd do
whatever needed done. I sat and talked with Amos for a while and he didn't respond much, while he had glassy eyes and acted oddly.

I called the vet we used and a couple of hours later he came out. He gave Amos a shot while I talked to him and rubbed his cheek. He
just laid his big old head down and was gone. Dave, the vet, took Amos with him to cremate him. I can't hardly use a shovel anymore and
St Clair Co. Missouri is not a good place to dig a hole that would have held Amos. He was the greatest of pets/friends/sentries we ever
had and he left a big hole in our hearts when he left. He was family in every sense of the word. gm
cvphoto106893.jpg

Reactions: 2x4
(quoted from post at 11:56:27 11/04/21) A dozen years ago my brother was helping a friend remodel a house that was on a 80 he'd bought. The people that moved out abandoned a
Pyrenees female which naturally whelped after a couple of days. The friend fed her a little along but a couple of the pups got road
killed and time was probably running out for the bunch of them. He told me that the pups appeared to sired by a lab and were all white.
Our big dog had died a few months before so he asked if we might be interested in one of the pups. We ended up hauling Amos home to
rural Osceola with us. He was a dandy from the start. Cathy put him up at nights in a crate on the back porch and covered the crate
door with a throw-rug she left on top. It wasn't long before Amos would turn in on his own, pulling on the edge of the rug until it
fell down over the door hole, essentially turning out the lights.

It didn't take him long to reach #120 and he did love his chow but for some reason he preferred I sit and watch him eat. I have no idea
why but usually he had to bark at his food a bit before he ate. He also loved to wade in the pond. Back when I could still ride a
tractor to mow pasture he would follow me around the pasture endlessly, detouring for the occasional bird or bunny only to be back
before long. He developed hip dysplasia over the years and had lately had a lot of trouble getting up. Also, we had been treating him
for heart worms almost from the beginning. Last week came the day we'd been dreading for some time. He couldn't get up anymore. He'd
been down for more that a day, wouldn't take chow, even balls of cheese which he loved. Cathy went to work and I told her I'd do
whatever needed done. I sat and talked with Amos for a while and he didn't respond much, while he had glassy eyes and acted oddly.

I called the vet we used and a couple of hours later he came out. He gave Amos a shot while I talked to him and rubbed his cheek. He
just laid his big old head down and was gone. Dave, the vet, took Amos with him to cremate him. I can't hardly use a shovel anymore and
St Clair Co. Missouri is not a good place to dig a hole that would have held Amos. He was the greatest of pets/friends/sentries we ever
had and he left a big hole in our hearts when he left. He was family in every sense of the word. gm

I know how you feel.
BTDT too many times.

Sorry for your loss. Just a few weeks ago I had to put my cat down who had been with us over 15 years and we figured she was around 17 1/2 years old when she died. I'm very heart broken about it. She was a very good companion for my wife and myself.

Sorry for your loss.

I had to have my best buddy Suzy put down about 5 years ago.

I still have vivid dreams about her.

The bad ones seem to live forever, the good ones, never live long enough. Have put down a couple great ones and cried digging the holes. Got a 2 year old mixed breed of Rott and Golden Retriever. She is on her way to becoming a great one. She just loves to see the grandkids come over. She has taken care of the possum and coon problem as well as groundhog problems. Took us over a year of looking for her after putting down a calf killing dog we had for 4 years. They are out there. Take your time and another will need a good home. Sorry for the loss, but think of all the years of gain you had from her.

So very sorry to hear of this!

Being just down the road (in Phelps County), I hear you about digging the hole. Twice, I have to hire a backhoe to do it, the last time for my son's nearly-200-pound Great Pyrenees.

Sorry to hear that seems this year was a year that a lot of us lost our old pets, me included, Annie and Maggie.

My condolences, it's always hard to part company with a dog or cat that's part of your family. You did what you had to do because you loved Amos and you will always cherish your memories of him.

Sorry for your loss, it is very hard to lose a loyal pet.
He looks a lot like my yellow Lab Molly in the face.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. These animals are part of our family for sure. Be comforted knowing you gave your dog the best of everything. Stan

Sorry you lost your friend and family member. I still miss some of mine after a number of years have gone by.

Sorry for your loss. It's such a joy to have animals and such a heartbreak when we have to say goodbye to them. Thanks for sharing about Amos and just think about all the good times you had with him.

Lost my old pal Duke about 25 years ago. Biggest collie I ever saw, but he took over everybody's heart. Still miss him.

A loyal pet is...
All who have responded to your post have obviously had similar pet relationships, as has my family. We savor the thoughts and many stories and pictures. My wife and I have talked many times about another dog. We just can't. It would not be fare to the dog.
Our neighbor has a fantastic Golden Retriever. He (the dog) has adopted us and visits often.

I can say over the years we have had heart break with good pets passing on. One of our dogs had cancer and literally held on until I arrived home after a week of being away. True devotion until the very end. But I can also say we wont ever stop getting another. And just got another puppy 2 weeks ago. Life is a celebration, after all. They love us and we love them. Supervisor approved.
cvphoto106941.jpg

Its so tough to lose a good friend. We have the memories that bring some smiles again with time, but it is tough.

Thank you for sharing the memories.

Paul

Sorry for the loss of your buddy I to have lost a few and have another that is fifteen I hate to say this but losing a dog us sometimes worse than losing certain family members

That time is fast coming for us with our Bell,half rottwiller and half heinz. She is getting old and has some trouble getting up. She has been my wife's side companion for a long time now. She lays right beside my chair in the kitchen and until the last few days whenever I say I'm gonna go feed, she's ready to go. There will be tears around this house when it's time for her to go. I'm so sorry for your loss. Keith

Sorry for the loss of Amos your long-time companion.

One of our rural neighbors has a Pyrenees named Bear Cub.

When Bear escapes, he comes and stays a few days with us.

Sorry for your loss. I keep saying no more dogs for me every time this happens. Sometime down the line another will show up and pick me out to enrich my life. I hope it's true that they will be waiting on the other side. What a circus that will be.

Thanks for all the condolences and sharing. You'll understand why I can't respond to you all individually. Thanks again. gm

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back