penetrating Oil

GordoSD

"Machinist's Workshop" recently published information on various penetrating oils. The magazine reports they tested these products for "break out "torque" on rusted nuts and bolts. A test was made of popular penetrating oils, with the unit of merit being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" boltAverage torque load to loosen nut:
No Oil used ........................516 foot pounds
WD-40 ..................... ........238 foot pounds
PB Blaster .........................214 foot pounds
Liquid Wrench ......................127 foot pounds
Kano Kroil .........................106 foot pounds
ATF/Acetone mix...................... 53 foot pounds
The ATF/Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50/50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.
Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test.
Our local machinist group mixed up a batch, and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that Liquid Wrench is almost as good as Kroil for 20% of the price.
ATF/Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50/50 mix. ATF

I have a batch of Acetone/ATF in a 'sprayer bottle' at all times! I like it, but it is not under pressure, so still keep a can of WD 40, so I have some under pressure when needed. Looks like I should get a can of anything other than what I have now! LOL

ive used this for yrs,atf-acetone.but it always separates.does it always do this or I wonder if its just the different manufacturers

I know industry uses Kroil. I have it in my shop and works great. Interesting about the ATF/Acetone mix. I guess the Acetone creeps into the slot and the ATF is along for the ride to lube things up.

I thought PB was great. Didn't know that LW was better. Guess I'll have to keep that in mind.

Thanks for the info.
Mark

I have read that acetone can penetrate right through skin and possibly damage ones liver so I would be cautious using it for anything, I have found Kroil to never let me down.

yrs. ago when i worked big turbines and compressors there was one on the market called spin out before a shutdown i"d walk around and spray the bolts a day or 2 before it made a world of difference but i don"t know if it is still on the market.

This "survey" has been around for some time now. One thing about it always troubles me. There never is any mention of time, that is, how long did they let the stuff all sit? Was it ten minutes, an hour, or three days? The reason people use penetrating oil at all is to loosen things as fast as possible. Shouldn't time make a difference in the results? Mike

I wonder how the wax trick would fare in that test? I use Kroil, because nobody makes acetone/atf, in a spray can. I still use the wax trick, on larger bolts, heat the bolt to cherry red, then let it cool to about 250 F, then apply a beeswax candle to the bolt, and the wax wicks up into the thread.

I ran a test on several penetrants on project once. Some name brands, as well as a couple house brands. (Including WD40 and PB Blaster,) Several applications over a couple week time on a rusted hay rake, using same penetrant on specific nuts. Finally impacted all of the nuts off. NONE of them penetrated beyond a few threads. NONE of them satisfied me as to their penetrating ability.

In the 1970's I worked as a chemist. We used to wash glassware in acetone with our bare hands. Didn't have a lot more respect for Benzene, either.
OSHA would have a COW these days.

i've never found anything that will penetrate,,period...once you break it loose then you can put the juice to it..

This subject reminds me of the time a saleman came into the shop with some super duper penetrant. Says, any rusted up stuff you want to take apart. I says, ya, that exhaust pipe in that manifold right there. He squirts a bunch on, asks , you got a pipe wrench? Sure , right here, grunt grunt, squirt a little more, got a hammer, sure, tap tap, grunt grunt. I was busy, looked around he was gone, pipe still in manifold.

Acetone and ATF do not mix; at least not by shaking, stirring or cussing.
a112677.jpg

At work, we have recently started using a product by CRC called Knock'er Loose. I don't know what is in it but it smells like a very strong bathroom cleaner. One of my jobs is to remove bearings from rolls, I usually have a few that won't come out until I weld a bead inside the race. I tried the Knock'er Loose let it set for a few minutes and they come right out. We couldn't get a splined shaft apart after beating on it nothing moved, we sprayed it down and let it sit overnight next morning a couple of taps and it comes apart. I will be looking for a supplier for my home shop.
Thanks
John Schoenauer

Define scientifically rusted [how did they do it ?]. I have actually bought all those and sprayed multi types on stuff. If you show a price list Kroil would come in number one at 11 dollars a can. Like someone else said sometimes even after spraying you can tell nothing penetrated. Now I collect oil and grease cans so I have plenty of fluids to drain from half open garage sale finds including tranny fluid. I have seen this list you posted before elsewhere. I think the reason I get stuff loose is oxy/acet tanks and patience to come back later after it all cools down.Interesting post below about the ATF and acetone not mixing.You would think acetone would cut and thin the ATF pretty well. To my mixes acetone means lacquer thinner cause that what I have around.

I'm with the crowd that says no penetrating oil works all by itself without a little bit of heat and vibration. Also, my attitude says WD-40 is only good for drying out a wet distributor cap.

I use a product by Federal Process Corp/Gasoila called Free-All, it can work great, but like many things rusted and seized you need to get it to wick in or soak, or you must use heat and vibration. This penetrant does seem to have some volatile organic compounds judging by its odor, the main ingredients include Methy Isobutyl Ketone, & Oleic Acid, it reeks something awful, at least it smells industrial strength, snake oil or not, there are times I am impressed with its performance.
Free All

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back