No Oil used ................... 516 pounds

WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds

PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds

Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds

ATF*-Acetone mix............53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission

fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any

This info is from a magazine who tested in a controlled environment. It also stated that ATF and 50/50 mix of lacquer thinner is as good as acetone mix.
They also stated that Liquid Wrench is almost as good as Kroil for 20% of cost.
I usually use PB Blaster and it didn't fare to well it appears.

This gets posted every two months like clockwork.

My "penetrating oil" is an acetylene torch. For some reason they didn't include it in their comparison.

IF you do, you will never be able to keep it Tight...!!!!!!!!

"Break-Free" is my lube of choice for firearms, etc..

I agree, "Rosie" (the RED Wrench) is by far the best...!
Ron..

I usually don't have patience, or time, for penetrating oils of any
kind to work.

If it is a critical bolt I'll heat it before I ever start. If it's not I'll hit it
with a little WD-40 so it's lubricated then crank it till it comes loose
or breaks.

Here's another one,(attached link). I've tried this on an array of rusty items, parts and filled a small container and soaked, if it gets in there, seems to help, of course, some heat, vibration/impact may also be applicable.

This penetrant reeks of V.O.C.'s;

Ingredients CAS # Percent
Carbon Dioxide 124-38-9 .1-10 %
Petroleum Oil 64742-52-5 25-35%
Oleic Acid 112-80-1 25-35%
Methy Isobutyl Ketone 108-10-1 25-35%
Free All

Free All MSDS

Sorrry I wasted everyones time,but there are times when you can"t use the hot wrench or you want to save the nut,bolt.

I dont feel you wasted our time.New people look at this site all the time and this info might be new to them .Bill

If you mix up the ATF and acetone, make sure you put it in a very vapor-tight container- otherwise, it doesn't take long for the acetone to vaporize off.

I've had pretty good luck with PB Blaster, and haven't tried the ATF Acetone yet- but plan to if PB doesn't work on something. My method is just the opposite of Deans- I try real hard to get it out intact, so I don't have to deal with the busted piece.

Always a good reminder. I still have to find an acetone supplier...

Now in my world, I had a situation where I could try several spray penetrants on an old hayrake that I was disassembling - beaings on the reels. Treated each nut with different brand name penetrant, several times over a weeks time. Keeping track, and using only that penetrant on that nut. When I finally got to impacting the nuts off, NONE of the penetrants had gotten in over a couple threads. So much for "as seen on TV," etc. Propane torch, and candle wax works for a lot of my problem fasteners. Someday I gotta get some acertone!

Interesting Info. thanks for sharin. Ive never used the trans and acetone mix. I use a penetrating oil called ZEP 45. It works better than anything else Ive used but is getting hard to find and pricey. Mite have to try this trans fluid mix

You didn't waste my time. I found it to be rather interesting.
I use my torch too but not all the time.
Thanks for posting it.

Technically, WD40 is not developed for a penetrating oil, although many use it as such. WD40 was developed to protect electrical connections and parts from water vapor and condensation, The WD stands for Water Displacement. According to the story I was told, they had tried 39 different formulas without the desired results, the 40th formula worked, thus, WD40. If you do spray it on electrical contacts, allow a few minutes for the carrier to evaporate or when the contacts close the resulting spark will set it ablaze. Don't ask how I know.

We use WD40 at work for polishing the stationary equipment once a month. Sure makes it look good.

My favorite penetrating oil, is heat to 250 degrees with a propane
torch, then press a bees wax candle to the bolt, and let the wax
wick up into the hot bolt/nut. Barring that, I generally use Kroil, in
a spray bomb. I would use the ATF/acetone mix, but never can
keep any where I remember where it is! Oh, and that table is
nothing new, generally it gets posted about 4x a year.

I have a squirt bottle of the ATF/Acetone mix and have tried it a few times. I don't think it works any better than PB blaster or liquid wrench. It also keeps separating in the bottle. I'll still keep trying it though.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back