Picking a little corn

Kip2

I thought I would post a few pics of my first year ever picking/growing corn to feed a few Berkshire hogs I plowed planted with what I had on a piece of ground that hadn't been worked in 30 years 4 tons of lime to the acre 10 tons of broiler litter to the acre and some fertilizer made 170 bushels to the acre that's a close guesstimate haven't shelled it all I got the picker from a guy who's dad bought it new the last time it was used was 1964 they dropped it off the tractor in the barn on a concrete floor and it hadn't been touched till I picked it up this summer I replaced the belts greased it up filled the gear box with 90 weight and made some new axle brackets for a later model ford and it ran flawlessly no break downs at all it's been a good year Merry Chritmas
a177363.jpg

a177366.jpg

a177367.jpg

a177368.jpg

a177369.jpg

a177370.jpg

a177371.jpg

Nice tractors!

Do you have any other pictures of the corn picker? We had one of those mounted to our Ford 7000 back in the 1980's. I haven't seen one in a long time. I think I still have the owner's manual for it around here somewhere though.

been a long time sense I've seen corn planted with a 140 and a one row planter, being you were using a one planter I assume it's in 4'rows,use to be a lot planted in 4' rows around here I probably picked some of the last grown for grain production with a 410 MF with a 3 row 38" header, good looking job

40 inch rows I'm looking for a 3 pt 2 1/2 tool bar to put two of those 71 units on I have several of them so I can plant with the ford

Looks like you had a good year!

Nice looking litter of piglets! I raise Hereford hogs myself. Pigs are neat animals; they definitely have personalities!

Happy holidays!

Nice pics, neat.

So does the picker attach to the 3pt arms too, and adjust height with a scissors setup, or just to the axle frame you made? Never been up close to one of those.

Good job. You hauled a lot of stuff onto your field to get it productive in a hurry!

Paul

Wow! That picker is super nice! It looks like it had a good shed to sit in.

I remember what a bear it was to hook that picker up. If I remember correctly, the pto shaft is a real mess to get lined up correctly as it doesn't telescope.

Of course, squeezing one of those pickers onto a Ford 7000 row crop was probably never anticipated when it was built. :lol: We had steel plates that bolted to the axle for hook up. I remember them being torch cut and pretty crude, but it worked.

Very Very good looking picker on your tractor!

The axle brackets and third link carry the weight the lift arms are kinda just there although you use them to pick it up to the axle brackets then you take the left one loose from the rock shaft arm and the right one loose from the lift arm and it hooks to the picker to pick up the gathering head the part on the back stays stationary once it's pinned off to the axle brackets there's a lever you can see on the right side in the area of the right lift arm with a chain hooked to it that takes the wagon elevator out of gear for turns so you don't run corn out on the ground that's hard to get use to trust me but I will say this picker works great I've had combines in the past the last one was a NH TR 70 and I may wind up with a Gleaner K2 but this thing works great

Did it shell much in the row? I almost bought one of those but was afraid it would be hard on the right side axle housing and bearings. Doesnt look like it husked very good? I have a two row mounted dearborn on a wd45 and both need lots of work before i can get them into the field.Looks like you got a great yield for 40" rows. My grandfather was the only one i knew around here that had them. I started out with 30" but might set my two row planter to 36" rows so i can play with mounted picker.Fords had such a good reputation at winning contests but from what I've seen online they dont seem to be husking all that great.I know part of it is the varieties and the weather. Those are nice lookin hogs. I 'm planning on getting some berks too.That ford looks good. I got A-C s but grandfather had a 52 8n. Wish i had been able to get it.Make sure those wood chips for the hogs are well cured and dry. Those look like they are. I had read that they could get TGE from green wood chips. Not sure if that was proven or not. Looks like you did a fantastic job! :D have a great Christmas!

Picking corn is a nice thing to do on a nice fall day, but being on an open station tractor picking corn when it is snowing is a miserable job.

So..is it a snapper or a husker? Wondering where the husking rolls are. The way the husks are loose on the cobs indicate it is probably a snapper. Ford called it a "Corn Harvester". Many farmers in the southern US preferred to leave the husks on to help protect the cobs from insects. It also made the corn harvester less expensive. Corn pickers had 4-6 husking rolls separate from the snapping rolls. You have preserved a bit of history. If you keep it under cover, it will still look good 40yrs. from now.
Jerry

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back