planting sweet corn

wellmax99

not much luck,
I have a 25 B John Deere planter and I have 24 hole plates
I wanted 16 hole plates so I could plant with greater spacing,

I looked around all winter for 16 hole plates that would fit my small sweet corn seed
found two in a barrel of old plastic plates in a used equipment shop

guy said they will work.

got ready to install the plates, my old 25B planter has two notches to pull turn the plates,
I never notice that the plates I bought had four notches so they would not fit in my planter

needed to plant so I just planted corn again with the 24 seed plates
small seed you can see why I have corn planted too thick,

maybe better luck next year,
if anyone has plates that might work let me know or a place I might buy them

however I am almost a the end of my sweet corn planting career,
you can buy some to eat much cheaper than going to all the work: plowing disking planting and buying this high dollar (honey select) seed corn.
then when it about ready to eat, you go out there and mr coon and deer has visited in the night and stripped about 1/2 a row.

guess they have to eat too, but never understood why they eat my sweet corn when there is a 100ac field of the best looking field corn close to my sweet corn patch.

life goes on,
a159969.jpg

a159970.jpg

a159971.jpg

Max99- My sweet corn production probably costs me $50 and ear lol. The time on the tractor, the smell of the earth, the look and satisfaction of a fresh cultivated field, the sun on my neck are priceless. I still have children at home and their memories of childhood will not include many vanilla Saturdays or video games. They garden, they hunt deer and turkey, they make apple butter in a copper pot over a fire each fall, they have a cider press and an orchard. They make at least one loaf of bread a year from wheat they grow thresh and grind themselves. They know how to flesh and stretch a coon hide. They swim in the creek and fry up fish they just caught. Each spring they get new chicks. All of this reminds me and teaches them the earth is good and full of blessings for those who remember to seek them and there is always something good just around the corner. Every calorie could be bought cheaper but in the end would be way more costly to me.

Lincoln ag has the plates you need so does ebay nearly every day.

Those notches don't mean a thing forget about that. Now it looks like you have 2 kernels one on top of the other in a cell, that means you have too thick a plate and you need to check measurements on the plate web site to find a thiner plate with same size cells otherwise.

I know you are right about needing thinner plates, but I also need 16 slot plates or different sprockets,
At this point in my sweet corn planting career, I will try to modify the 16 slot plates I bought,
However they are thick, maybe I could grind them down on my belt sander, if I kept them moving, I do have a buddy with a mill, he might mill off a 1/8"
If there is a will there is a way,
Thanks for the reply,

Needless to say I was somewhat upset with my John Deere planter,

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back