Please identify this generator??

Lynn Patrick

This was on the Funk I just got. A previous owner had "converted" it to 12 volt by putting in a 12 volt battery & coil. Is this from an early N?

Attachments

• Funk 9.JPG
    Funk 9.JPG
    788.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Funk 10.JPG
    Funk 10.JPG
    770.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Funk 11.JPG
    Funk 11.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
This was on the Funk I just got. A previous owner had "converted" it to 12 volt by putting in a 12 volt battery & coil. Is this from an early N?
The generator looks like the one on my '41 9n. It may have been reworked to be a 12v. A 12v battery will still work,but the generator will not work and the cutout will just burn out.

Likely 2N10000, 9N10000C, 8N10000A. 6 volt 11 1/2 A output, 4 1/2" barrel dia and 5 1/2" length.
I have seen these gens put out 17 volts, but if allowed to output at 17v and substantial current, I feel reasonably sure that it would soon overheat and burn up

Likely 2N10000, 9N10000C, 8N10000A. 6 volt 11 1/2 A output, 4 1/2" barrel dia and 5 1/2" length.
I have seen these gens put out 17 volts, but if allowed to output at 17v and substantial current, I feel reasonably sure that it would soon overheat and burn up
Additionally, the lack of bolt hole in barrel for tension bracket likely rules out the 2N10000 and the absence of Field & Gnd terminals means you can rule out 8N10000A.

WOW Jmor!! That's WAY more info than I expected! From the mount, lack of side terminals, & H/L "switch", it looks to me like the 9N1000C?
Now the question is - Is it of any value, or are they a dime a dozen? If some rebuilder wants it it's for sale!

Additionally, the lack of bolt hole in barrel for tension bracket likely rules out the 2N10000 and the absence of Field & Gnd terminals means you can rule out 8N10000A.
I have one myself. Somewhere there is a man rebuilding a tractor that he wants "original" and he is our buyer....or you can make a 6v battery charger out of it. :)

If it only has the one terminal post on the rear plate then it is either a 9N-10000-C or 2N10000 unit. Both are virtually the same unit except the 2N has the tensioning bracket anchor bolted to the barrel. These units are the 6V 1-Wire/3-Brush "A" CKT, 11.5 AMP units and the singe terminal is the ARMATURE connection, and rear 3rd Brush Adjustment Screw shown on back panel, and required the 9N-10505-B Round Can Cutout. Used after April 1940 til 1947 for all 9N and 2N Production.

Attachments

• 2N-10181-B GENERATOR TENSIONER KIT FOR 9N-10000-C.jpg
    2N-10181-B GENERATOR TENSIONER KIT FOR 9N-10000-C.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 22
  • FORD 2N-10000 GENERATOR.JPG
    FORD 2N-10000 GENERATOR.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
WOW Jmor!! That's WAY more info than I expected! From the mount, lack of side terminals, & H/L "switch", it looks to me like the 9N1000C?
Now the question is - Is it of any value, or are they a dime a dozen? If some rebuilder wants it it's for sale!
Not JMOR but I can answer this. The OEM 9N-C and 2n GENs are not hard to find originals and always a better choice than to get a new aftermarket junker made today. Finding one with the tensioner bracket on it intact is the hard part. Many are missing the 2nd piece that bolts to the head. BTW, the 6V 1-Wire/3-Brush 11.5 AMP "A" CKT unit is the only one made today and sold as a replacement for all N's and that ain't right. You'd have to make other changes depending on which model tractor/system you are replacing. Early 9Ns and all 8Ns would require the Round Can Cutout. CAVEAT EMPTOR

Tim Daley (MI)

Not JMOR but I can answer this. The OEM 9N-C and 2n GENs are not hard to find originals and always a better choice than to get a new aftermarket junker made today. Finding one with the tensioner bracket on it intact is the hard part. Many are missing the 2nd piece that bolts to the head. BTW, the 6V 1-Wire/3-Brush 11.5 AMP "A" CKT unit is the only one made today and sold as a replacement for all N's and that ain't right. You'd have to make other changes depending on which model tractor/system you are replacing. Early 9Ns and all 8Ns would require the Round Can Cutout. CAVEAT EMPTOR

Tim Daley (MI)
It is not often that I would deign to correct Tim because I learned everything I know about these generators from Tim. I this case I think there is a typo, which can happen to anyone. Early 9Ns and all 2Ns require the Round Can Cutout. 8Ns did have regulators. I might add that as Tim has said before, the first few 9Ns did have a regulator, but there are very few of those left.

The tensioner brackets were initially a clamp on retrofit, then a factory bracket that bolted to the barrel, then a strut on the rear mounting bracket. There are pictures of the brackets in these threads
https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/threads/2n-generator-belt-tension.418933/
look like this:
a194422.jpg

tensioner-diagram.jpg

Later, they looked like this (part #s 10151 and 10145)
mvphoto82160.jpg

It is not often that I would deign to correct Tim because I learned everything I know about these generators from Tim. I this case I think there is a typo, which can happen to anyone. Early 9Ns and all 2Ns require the Round Can Cutout. 8Ns did have regulators. I might add that as Tim has said before, the first few 9Ns did have a regulator, but there are very few of those left.

The tensioner brackets were initially a clamp on retrofit, then a factory bracket that bolted to the barrel, then a strut on the rear mounting bracket. There are pictures of the brackets in these threads
look like this:
a194422.jpg

tensioner-diagram.jpg

Tim Daley (MI)
Correction: EARLY 9N and all 8NS used a Voltage Regulator, NOT the cutout. MY BAD.

TPD

look like this:
a194422.jpg

tensioner-diagram.jpg

mvphoto82160.jpg

look like this:
a194422.jpg

tensioner-diagram.jpg

mvphoto82160.jpg

Dave-

Yes, correction noted and made Thanks for the catch. I’m on a steroid for low HGB so only sleep 2-3 hours/night. Must read better before posting.

REF: Wiring PICTOGRAM by JMOR from above. The first early 1939 tractors used the 9N-10000-A GEN and required the square 9N10505-A Voltage Regulator. GEN was a small 6V/7 AMP, "B" CKT Design, with 2-WiIRES and TWO BRUSHES, used 39-40. After early 1940 the 9N-10000-B GEN was released, a small 6V/7AMP, "A" CKT Design unit and now used the 9N-10505-B Round Can Cutout. It was a 1-WIRE/3-BRUSH unit that used a 3rd Brush Slider Button on the rear panel. The 'B' GEN is also rare as hen's teeth to find. When the 9N-10000-C GEN was released in 1941 it now was a larger, 6V/11.5 AMP, "A" CKT, 1-WIRE/3 BRUSH UNIT but now used an adjustable LOW-HIGH pot with a screwdriver slot for 3RD Brush adjustment. It also required the Round Can Cutout. When the2N-10000 GEN was released in 1942 it was virtually the same as the 9N-C unit except it now had the tension bracket attached. At this time FORD also offered a tensioner kit only for the 9N-C GEN. This retrofit kit did not work on the early 9Ns. The 8N had its own tensioner, p/n 8N-10145. The 8N first used a 6V/11.5 AMP "A" CKT, Design, as a 3-WIRE/3-BRUSH unit and now used its own Voltage Regulator. ALL 8N's were the "A" CKT Design. The NAA model and all that followed would now be a 6V/20-AMP, 'B" CKT design, 3-WIRE/2-BRUSH unit with its own VR. 3rd brushes were not an effective method of charging and soon were discarded.

Tim Daley (MI)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back