Poison hemlock ?

JL Ray

I've been spraying my Hemlock and it seems to be dying off. I'm wondering if any one has ever planted something in the area where this stuff comes up that will drown it out?

JL Ray
Size 10.5EEE

Here in So Illinois it showed up about 10 years ago, never had seen it before. Anyplace that isn't regularly mowed it is beginning to take ove. I keep my place and the 1/2 mile highway frontage clear of the weed along with Johnson grass. The State mows one swath along the highway four times a year and farther off two times. This coincides with both these weeds being full of seed and thus is spread up and down the highway. At one time the State would spray the Johnson grass but it was, I suppose, too expensive to continue and the not important to the bureaucrats. The farmers don't seem to recognize/realize what a nuisance Poison Hemlock is and let it grow where they don't farm.

I have been fighting poison hemlock for over 50 years. I have not killed it off but do have it down to a manageable area. It does not help when the county lets it grow on ROW. I have found that spraying with 24D as soon as it starts coming out in the spring is the best way I can keep it down. Swede

Here's a couple pictures of Poison Hemlock.
Screenshot_20240425_073814_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240425_073923_Chrome.jpg

I've been spraying my Hemlock and it seems to be dying off. I'm wondering if any one has ever planted something in the area where this stuff comes up that will drown it out?

JL Ray
Size 10.5EEE
What makes it poison? Looks like the weed I mow sometimes. Stan

JL Ray
Size 10.5EEE
It likes bare dirt. If it has been going to seed in the same spot for a while, you may need to spray it every year for many years. Plant grass or what ever you want, and then each spring spray it with 24d. 24d is very effective early in the spring, before it gets 6-8 inches tall. After that it gets harder to kill. If it makes a seed head, chop or mow it off and when it tries to spout back, then spray it. Someone in our county got very sick mowing a tall, mature stand of it, so be aware. It is poison, and there should be a law to eradicate it. You don't want it in pasture or hay fields. Mark.

I have some similar white umbrella small flowers in my fields with a root like a carrot. If I see one i drive over to it and with all the rain we have had, I just pull it out root and all. On the larger ones I cut them off at the root if I can't pull them up. Glad folks posted the hemlock photos so that I could differentiate between that and what I have...a close relative.

I have heard it called Queen Ann's Lace...right or wrong?
Queen Ann's Lace has fuzzy stems and fuzz (smaller) on leaves. Both are carrot relatives. Queen Ann's Lace has green spiky Bracts under the flower where the flower umbels origin. It is most often found with a dark red center "flower" among the white. It is non toxic.
Queen Ann's lace Jim

The Hemlock has smooth stems, often with purplish spots near the side stems on the stalk. The leaves have no hairs. The flower has no Bract under the Umbel. and does not have any dark red center flower. All parts of the Hemlock are poison and can kill easily. animals are not immune. Roots and seeds are worst. But even leaves can kill. It is a plant in The Poison Garden of Harry Potter (At Alnwick Castle Gardens, UK. Been there!.
Hemlock

I have some similar white umbrella small flowers in my fields with a root like a carrot. If I see one i drive over to it and with all the rain we have had, I just pull it out root and all. On the larger ones I cut them off at the root if I can't pull them up. Glad folks posted the hemlock photos so that I could differentiate between that and what I have...a close relative.
Wear gloves when you touch poison hemlock, especially with a firm grip like when pulling it up. 24d controls it very well in early spring-don't let it grow and make a bloom and seed head. Mark.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back