pole barn insulation

I talked a guy today about building me a pole barn that I plan on using as a shop. I wanted the roof insulated as part of the package. He said they use the silver colored bubble insulation that had an R-value of 11. This stuff is very thin and some metal barn builders say that this material did'nt have an insulation value, that it was a thermal barrier. Has anybody used this type? Should I use something different? I do plan on heating it in winter.
 
Snake oil. Nothing but bubble wrap with a foil coating.

I saw this stuff in Lowes or Home Depot, so I did a little research. I thought I might use it in my pole barn. The company makes outlandish claims about this stuff, but it's all based on how effective it is under certain circumstances in combination with other materials. If this stuff was as good as they claim, why would anyone waste money on fiberglass or foam? Sure, the builder would love to sell you that stuff, because it's cheap and easy to install. It might save you some bucks now, but you'll quickly pay it all back as soon as you fire up the heater.
 
in my area it used on tobacco barn and open sheads to cut down on condinsation. it not good for insulation. in my shop i have half inch foam 4x8 ft supported by two by fours. in between trusses then insulation batts layed on top works good reflects the light back down also.
 
im in south carolina with a 30x50x12 pole barn fully rapped with that stuff. it may not be high r-value but i will tell you that it will lower your summer tempature by 15 degree from the 4 or 6 in white insulation that is used in buildings. when i add on i will use it again.
 
My dad insulated his with 1" Celotex. Foil faced on both sides. Wrapped the whole interior with plastic before the insulation was added. Kinda pricy though.
 
I'll use it again also. Works better than the 3" with no foil. 30x50 12' . Two 10k window units keeps it plenty cool in summer. 30k gas heater heats it in the winter.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top