Georgia MF
New User
I had a stubborn sleeve on a Perkins I was trying to remove the other day. I could not move it with a hammer and wood, and a chisel/screwdriver was no better.
I ended up taking an old piston and drilled a hole through it for a piece of all-thread. Then I removed all the rings except the top one. I slid the piston (top side first) into the sleeve very carefully not to let the ring go past the cast boring, but just past the sleeve liner. I used a 2x4 with a hole for the all-thread top base and pulled it right out.
You old timers probably have done this many times, but I could not find any notes about it. So, here it is for posterity -- no special machine shop necessary.
I ended up taking an old piston and drilled a hole through it for a piece of all-thread. Then I removed all the rings except the top one. I slid the piston (top side first) into the sleeve very carefully not to let the ring go past the cast boring, but just past the sleeve liner. I used a 2x4 with a hole for the all-thread top base and pulled it right out.
You old timers probably have done this many times, but I could not find any notes about it. So, here it is for posterity -- no special machine shop necessary.