Possible Ford 3400 Purchase

BCguy

New User
Hi there

This is my first post in this forum as I am planning to purchase my first tractor. I have a couple pieces of property in northwestern Washington State just south of our (Canadian) border that I need a machine to do some work on. They are not large pieces of property 5 & 20 acres in size, quite flat, and not too rocky. However the larger section of land I am doing the most work on first is very sandy and quite desert like. I had quite a bit of trouble getting stuck on a rented skid steer recently but it did have very poor tread and they do not have much clearance at all.

I was sent a photo(hopefully attached) of this Ford 3400 with a 730 loader for sale the other day. Asking price is $3500 CAN$ which is about $2600 US$ these days which seems to be pretty good. The machine looks to be in quite good shape.

The current owner does not have much experience with the tractor as it came with the piece of property he recently purchased. Seems like a very nice and honest guy that found the tractor a little too large for what he wants it for and not well suited to his steeper property. I assume that is a result of the reduced rear wheel traction from the loader despite having some weight on the back. The tractor was stored under cover and looks to be in very good condition. It is also a diesel, runs fine without any major issues or damage, and has the eight speed transmission as well. The loader has enough down pressure to lift the tires which I have read in this forum to be of value rather than being valved to lift under pressure and drop by weight/gravity. I am not sure of the year but will be able to figure it out based upon the previous post on this site. I do assume it is somewhere between a 1968 and 1975 model year? From what I have read both the tractor and loader are well liked by their owners.

The main disadvantages I can see are that it does not have a three point hitch or PTO. I was planning to get a box blade for the back and post auger but unless I was willing to go to all the work and expense of trying to upgraded as been mentioned on this site I will be limited to the front bucket and perhaps some forks.

I do have about a mile of fairly rough but relatively flat gravel/sand access road to maintain and a blade at the back seems like it would be very useful. Other than the grading I would be primarily using the machine for levelling off sections of the property for buildings, small road, etc and general clean up. Digging is very easy on this ground. I have attached a couple pictures of our property and the ground I will be digging around in too.

Finally..... The question(s) I have are:

Does the tractor sound like a reasonable deal?

Is it somewhat well suited for what I want it for?

And if I purchase the machine and like it as much as most others seem to would it be possible and worth it to find the parts needed from a salvage yard to convert it to a three point hitch and PTO (if indeed it is possible) The hitch to get a blade on the back being the most important.

Price wise it does allow me to get some work done right away and I could upgrade later when more cash is available.

Thank you very much in advance for any comment or input.

Gary

I'm a little curious why it doesn't have a 3 point hitch. Did they make 3400's without a 3 point? My 3400 has one....

Just going off what I know about my 3400, it suited my needs just fine. If its in good shape and appears to run good I wouldnt hesitate to pay $2600 for mine. Heck, I would pay $2600 for it since it has the loader then sell mine.

If needing/wanting 3 point and pto pass on it. By the time and money to converet a one can be bought with all ready to go. Yes 3400 were made without hyd and ptos. If shuttle there is no pto and no way to install.

Gary,
Welcome to the board.
Those are very reliable tractors and well
thought of here.
If I needed a tractor and had to choose
between one that had a loader or one that
had 3 point and pto, 3 to 1 I would choose
the one with the latter.
That said, the price you mention is pretty
good for that tractor - even without those
options - IF - it runs good and has decent
tires.
If you did opt to buy it and add those items
I would recommend that you buy a junk
tractor and get the parts you need that way.
Swaping the entire rear end from the
transmission back would be the best way to
go as there are several internal parts that
would come with it. Swap the hydraulic pump
and lines over and the pto parts too.
A 3400 is almost identical to a 3000 so all
those parts would fit. Also, a 3 cylinder
2000 would fit. Keep in mind that you want
one that came from a tractor with twin stick
6 or 8 sp transmission. The pto and parts
from a tractor with a plain 4 sp or Select O
Speed transmission will not fit.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back