Power king Economy tractor help

steveo

New User
Hello, I have an older powerking ( I believe it to be that) I purchased back about 37 years ago from a old guy had it sitting in his yard. there is no sheet metal on it, I had to put 20 ply 16 inch pickup truck tires on the rear they work great with chains. It is powered by a B&S model 23ab engine. I think it about a 5 or 6 hp the frame is square tube. and it came with an electric start/generator. can anyone date this for me and let me know it there is any sheet metal still around for it as well as manuals. I am thinking of trying to rebuild and restore this tractor. thanks Steve
 
Checked the Tractor Photos, found these On the left side of this page in the GALLERIES select TRACTOR
PHOTOS, and search for Power King.
a2755.jpg

a4600.jpg
 
Wasn't a lot of sheetmetal on them.You can setup a search on ebay to email you with new listings when they appear.
They were built quite a few years with some superficial changes.

I have a 1978
 
I have that 23AB engine on a 31" Toro Grassking rotary mower. I think they're 9hp. Here's a web site for determining B&S engine age's. They were made from 1949 thru 1957. My mower is a 1974 model. Must of had a lot of engines. I've had the mower since 175 or 76. Hal

http://www.asecc.com/data/briggs-built-dates.html

PS: Pic of mower.
623yj2s.jpg
 
What's going on in the picture? Why is the tractor motor attached by belt to the reel mower? Is that how you start the reel mower? Please explain.
 
And then what do you do when it starts? Do you kick the belt off, or bring them closer together so the belt falls off? I've never tried that before. Looks dangerous and fun!
 
I kick the pto out of gear to stop the drive pulley on the tractor. Then I take my boot and help it off if it doesn't hop off on its own.

You can start a farm tractor by using a flat belt and another tractor with a pulley to drive the dead tractor's pulley. Hal
 
Steve,

The early Economy tractors didn't have sheet metal. If you could give us the SN we could pinpoint the year, but it sounds like it's late 40's to late 50's or so. The serial number should be on the top of the clutch housing, right in front of the shifter.

Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PowerKingTractors/

A great group for Power King and Economy tractor info. Good luck with your Economy!

Alex
 
Not ALL of the older models had sheet metal. Some in the early 50s came without hoods. Post the serial number if you still have the tag ahead of the shifter and we'll pinpoint the year for you. Then we can move ahead as to what it should look like.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top