power steering issue

45bldg

So I have a 821 and here is the configuration that I have . I know there are several styles and even several different types of pumps. So this one is like mine as it shows the fluid cannister standing up vertical...and my tractor has 2 sets of steel pressure lines on both sides ...So somehow my tractor does not seem to be working right and I have only the left side with a cylinder...the right side is missing and looks like its been removed and the two lines on the right side have been capped off. will this be a problem as I have a loader ? can it work properly with just 1 cylinder or is it a must that both have to be mounted or it can not work? Does anyone know how much PSI and GPM the pump is supposed to deliver weather it be a vane pump, or gear, or other? Also is there a filter in the cannister or screen ? Do I need to buy another clyinder to make it start working or if the pump is good will this work with i cylinder? I have no clue . thanks
cvphoto164477.jpg

pump is not a vane pump or a gear pump more like a roller bearing pump 800psi. for 821 need two cyl. they are one way cyl. one pushes the other

It should work with just one cylinder, but it won't work as well. The system was designed to have 2 cylinders, and a single cylinder won't provide as much power to the system, so if the tractor has any heavy load, like if you are using it with a loader, it will be hard to steer, but no more so than one with manual steering.

As to the pump itself, there should be a separate parts drawing for that power steering pump on Messick's site. It does have a filter inside the reservoir.

So the 1 cylinder I have is new and I would like to find a match to what I have if its cheaper than what I seen at
Steiners and here at Yesterdays store. the tech people here and both places said since I have a 5/8 cylinder not the
old 1/2 size I should only use another 5/8 because of the loader... here is the picture of what I have ...dont know
where it came from...does this look like anything you have seen? I want to stay with 5/8 but willing to find another
brand if its cheaper than the $259 at Stieners or here .....just ordered a water pump today and also I found the pupm
pulley broken and need to order that and the seal kit for the upright pump which is supposed to be an eaton...so im
trying to keep cost down and dont care about the cylinder as long as it works...I dont see a name on the cylinder ,,it
measures the outside of cylinder is 1.89 inches and the rod is .636 inches travel I think about 14 ?

cvphoto164500.jpg

cvphoto164501.jpg

cvphoto164502.jpg

I don't recognize that cylinder, but you definitely want to use matched cylinders. Unmatched cylinders will work, but the flow to each cylinder will be different to perform the same amount of work with different bores and/or rod size. So one will experience higher psi than the other most of the time and that one will likely leak internally sooner rather than later, especially when using a loader.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back