Power Steering on 420w

Hi, I have a John Deere 420w 1958. I really like the tractor and want to put power steering on it. Has anyone out there installed power steering on a 420w.? Was it a big project? Where would I get the parts? thank you very much for the help. Fred

You'll need a donor tractor, or at least access to one. An option would be to install electric power steering, search to web for how-to's.

Char-Lynn made add on power steering unit that went on/ steering shaft. Had to have hyd pump drove off some where or use tractor hyd system. They are still out there but where is the question.

I have a 430 U that had a loader on for years. I also wondered about power steering especially with loader. At lest on the U there is not enough open steering shaft for electric unit. Charlyn might be an option if you can find a spot in steering shaft to put it. I have seen units for bigger deers and IH but not for small ones. Other possibility is to find one from donor tractor. I have seen them on YT classifieds usually in the $1000 range.they are a handy tractor but a real bear to steer with loader

I thought about this year's ago
only I was planning on adding it
to my M. The power steering units
are rare as hen's teeth and I
couldn't find one.

A friend has a 435 and the power
steering is on the steering shaft
so I got to thinking and reading
everything I could find. I saw
where someone had built one using
a combine control valve which was
similar to the 435. I found a nos
combine valve but then life got in
the way and it's been laying on
the shelf for ages. I had
forgotten about it until now.

I saw a 420 once that had power
steering cylinders in place of the
tie rods but didn't have a chance
to see how it was controlled.

Either way you go adding power
steering will be a challenge and
not for the faint of heart!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back