Power Steering Start Up Problem, Ford 850

Today I finished install of my salvage yard acquired PS system for my 850. Disconnected tie rods at axle. All new cyl seals, steering box seals and gaskets, new center plunger springs, steering rod upper seal, etc etc. Fully disassembled, cleaned, etc. ALL components, new metal hyd lines and fitting, etc. On start up, steering wheel turned left and right OK and moved up and down as it is supposed to. But after about 1 minute, the steering wheel could not be turned but just and inch or two. Before I start moving around hydraulic lines, or disassemble my steering box and valve chamber, I could use some ideas on solving or diagnosing the issue. The valve body install perfectly matches the photos in manual IT FO-20. Return and Pressure lines are in correct ports. My suspicion is either 1) somehow clogged or stuck valve in the valve body, 2) I incorrectly tightened the washer spring on the steering column, or 3) my L & R cylinders are reversed, or 4) my tubes are connected to wrong cyl ports. Right now, my cyl ports are located on the outside and bottom, with the outside cyl port connected to the the dhigher port on the valve body on each side. Are the cyl ports supposed to be on the top or on the bottom? Manual is great for repairs, but missing some important info for new installations. No relevant info in the archives search either. Thanks for any and all info, Larry.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back