Pricey Baldwin filters

I did an oil and filter change on my Super C back on September in 2023. I went to my usual mom-and-pop parts store. The Baldwin PT71 filter was $6.00 all said and done. Since I had the valve cover off and readjusted the valves, thought it would be a good idea to change oil just in case something fell in the oil as I was messing with the valves. Back to the store yesterday and got another filter and it came to $16.00. I asked the counter guy about the price increase and he said Baldwin had a big price increase not long ago. The metal-clad ones were worse. I guess you just have to live with it. That is still a pretty big price increase for a cartridge filter.

the

I did an oil and filter change on my Super C back on September in 2023. I went to my usual mom-and-pop parts store. The Baldwin PT71 filter was $6.00 all said and done. Since I had the valve cover off and readjusted the valves, thought it would be a good idea to change oil just in case something fell in the oil as I was messing with the valves. Back to the store yesterday and got another filter and it came to $16.00. I asked the counter guy about the price increase and he said Baldwin had a big price increase not long ago. The metal-clad ones were worse. I guess you just have to live with it. That is still a pretty big price increase for a cartridge filter.

the
What hasn't gone up since 3 or so years ago?

"Things" have consequences. In this case, the "thing" is something that is not allowed to be discussed here!

the
Did they ever fix the spigot end that fits in the block? I had a few PT71’s that just fell in the hole… they wouldn’t take them back because I had them 30 days. Had to use a fat o-ring on the spigot to seal it up.

Did they ever fix the spigot end that fits in the block? I had a few PT71’s that just fell in the hole… they wouldn’t take them back because I had them 30 days. Had to use a fat o-ring on the spigot to seal it up.
I have changed my maybe 3 or 4 times. Baldwin and Wix filters both fit like that. The canister holds the bottom of the filter down tight against the plate at the bottom of the housing. If you look at a stigmatic of the oiling system on these engines, very little oil passes through the filter. Most of it runs straight back into the oil pan.

Rock Auto shows the PT71 Baldwin filter at 9.20 each. Obviously you pay a little for shipping, but may save you money if you order multiples like I do with my stock orders. I find quite a few Wix filters on "warehouse closeout" which have been as low as 2.12 per filter. The boxes are dusty or torn, but the product is fine and still in the plastic wrap. Just a thought when I order 8 to 10 at a time.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back