Priming Injector Pump

farmersamm

Well-known Member
This might vary according to your tractor, and fuel system. I have used this method successfully on all of my tractors, and a John Deere tractor that's relatively new.

I'm not going to endlessly crank the starter after a fuel filter change, or mindlessly poke on the inline primer pump. I have better things to do, and sometimes this is the only way to get running after losing a prime.

priming1.jpg

Normally I do this in the "shop", but the Oliver lost its prime while sitting overnight outside the back gate. I had to take the air to the tractor.
Note the blow gun attached to the hose.

priming2.jpg

My pump leaks so bad, that sometimes it won't start after sitting. And........it literally drips fuel on the ground while running. It is what it is. I can't afford to break loose with around 2K to send it in to be rebuilt/resealed. I could probably reseal it, but I'm a bit afraid of getting into the pump.

Anyways, what I do in this situation, and all others requiring re-establishing the prime on a pump.........is to loosen the diaphragm thingy that is supposed to prevent pressure shocks as the pump is operating. Then I remove the fuel filler cap, place my hand over the opening, and insert the blow gun, sealing it with my hand. I apply air pressure...........not too much.....about maybe 5psi. This forces the fuel through the system, and out of the loosened diaphragm fitting. It's enough to prime the pump, and get going. On other tractors, I'll loosen any handy fitting to do the same.

It works on all of the stuff that I own, and might work on many other applications. Like I said, YMMV according to your fuel system.
 
That damper is for the ADVANCE system, I do away with them on pumps I repair as they are a known leak problem and the pump will work just fine without it. Perkins six cylinder pumps, and some Long diesels are the only pumps that came with that leak prone damper.
 
That damper is for the ADVANCE system, I do away with them on pumps I repair as they are a known leak problem and the pump will work just fine without it. Perkins six cylinder pumps, and some Long diesels are the only pumps that came with that leak prone damper.
The diaphragm is the ONLY thing that doesn't leak
biggrin (1).gif
The rest of the pump is a slobbery mess. Even the dog smells like diesel. Gets it on himself when walking under the motor.
 
My uncle had an old 5-yard dump truck with a Detroit. Occasionally it would just quit, air up the saddle tank and it would fire right back up. No air no start. I always tell people with a Perkins you need to get diesel on your pants before they bleed, never thought about the dog, but I suppose that would work too.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top